The Chinese Year Of The Cock | Teen Ink

The Chinese Year Of The Cock MAG

By Anonymous

   The Chinese Year of the Cock

by E. K. C., New City, NY

The square patch of earth in front of the incensed-filled temple provided the sponge for the blood bath that was to last no more than a minute. Within a circle etched into the umber earth, two male cocks await impatiently, ready to strike with their owners' hands stretched around their huge bodies.

A crowd has already gathered around the event that was to be. Most are average village farmers with their tattered blue rags. Kids with shaven heads hide among the crevices between the elders. Bets are exchanged.

The fight begins and the crowd roars. The cocks pounce on each other with their wings and sharp claws trying to reach each other's jugular vein. Crimson blood begins to pour from beneath one cock's feathers. The dirt becomes stained with the color of the setting sun.

From the back of the crowd, a little boy begins to push his way through. He knows what the excitement is all about. At last, he is able to reach the center ring. But he does not stop there, he continues, ever closer to the ruckus of black feathers. With no apparent fear of being scratched or pecked, he reaches down and grabs one by its wings. He then proceeds onto one side of the ring and places it on the ground.

He then goes to the other cock and moves it to the other corner. The fight is over and the cocks are caged. The villagers disband at once, all ashamed at how foolish they had been and admire how wise that little boy was.

The little boy trudged home. He had embarrassed himself and his family name, but he had saved the lives of the animals, at least for another day. Upon returning to his house of wooden planks, he found his parents entertaining an unexpected visitor. It was old Chan, the village elder. The old withered man drank some tea and began to talk.

"Ni duh er tze ..." old Chan began describing the action of their little courageous boy. The old man spoke of how all the farmers looked so foolish in front of such an enlightened boy much younger.

The little boy went out and played with his toys.