Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

September 27, 2018
By arrowhead26 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
arrowhead26 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In English, the name Samuel means sun child; bright sun. But it's a Hebrew name and it means name of God. I don't get called Samuel. I go by Sam. It is shorter and easier to say. Sam is like a combination of bright, vibrant colors such as the sunset on a warm summer night as you are sitting by a campfire roasting marshmallows.


I don’t really know why my name was chosen. Neither does my parents. Maybe it was from a television show and they liked it. Or did the name fit me as they saw me come out of the womb? Did my parents know the sun child’s name would be such a perfect meaning for the way I am? A fun, positive person to be around. As perfect as peanut butter with jelly on a sandwich.


My name Sam is a person that everyone wants to be around and party with. Samuel is too formal. A Samuel would wear a collared shirt that bores the eye and khaki pants to a party but a Sam would wear shorts and a casual shirt that shows a sense of style. Cracking jokes left and right. Just trying to get people to have a good time. No drama is allowed.


My name Sam is also very organized and serious in the right moments. Also, very persevering. I would never give up or quit after making a commitment to something. Very organized like a filing cabinet in alphabetical order all facing the same way. Also know when to chill out and take things into a serious perspective. If you ever need to talk to someone, talk to a me. I stay cool, calm, and collected.


I like the name Samuel but I like Sam much more. I wouldn’t want to change my name even if I had to. The name Sam fits me like a winter glove on your hands when it is 0 degrees. I wouldn’t want to change my name or my personality in any way.


The author's comments:

This is my name essay that we had to make for my composition class.