At Knife Point | Teen Ink

At Knife Point

By MadelineEverette23 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
MadelineEverette23 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

Set Instructions: Stage is divided in two sets. On the left is a small bedroom. One single bed with two big windows. Lots of boxes and clothes spread throughout the room. A 14 year-old-girl, Elizabeth Smart, is laying in the cold bed. Blonde hair, pale, and wearing a red nightgown. Next to her is her 9-year-old sister, Mary Katherine. On the right is a kitchen with a big table with 6 chairs. Brian David Mitchell, middle-aged man, kidnapper, cuts a part of the window in the kitchen. Tip-toes to Elizabeth’s room where the children are sleeping. He makes his way through the door to being on top of Elizabeth with a knife held at her throat. The house is quiet.

Monologue:

Brian David Mitchell: Get out of bed. If you scream, you and your family will die.

Elizabeth: [breaths heavily] Why is he doing this? I am at knife point. A knife is to my throat. What do I do?  I can’t be taken away. I am 14 and I still need my parents. [pupils get bigger] I thought he was poor. [pauses] I mean, my family helped him, gave him a job at the house and this is how he repays us? [starts shaking]  

Brian David Mitchell: Put your shoes on and show me the safest way out.

Elizabeth: [slowly starts to sit up] Mary Katherine please turn around. [gets louder] Help me please! [whole stage freezes except for Elizabeth] [Elizabeth starts to pace] Brian David Mitchell, don’t take me. When I saw you for the first time, [pauses] well I just thought you and my parents would be friends. I was crazy for thinking that wasn’t I? [yells towards Mitchell] Wasn’t I! We trusted you. And all you did was break into our house and abduct me? [pacing] You’re stupid, Brian David Mitchell. Stupid! For thinking you are going to get away with this. [walks over to Mary Katherine’s side] [starts hitting Mary Katherine] Wake up! Mary Katherine please help me! [crying] I just want to go back to sleep. [walks back to place where she first was, standing by Mitchell] [everything unfreezes]

Brian David Mitchell: Let’s go!

[goes through door in her room] [starts to walk to the kitchen] Do I take him the wrong way? Do I walk by my parents’ room and yell? [pauses] … No, I cannot do that, they’ll die. [starts to cry] [walks toward the kitchen window with Mitchells hand on her back] Ew, his nasty hands. On my back. Get off me! Stop! Mom, please come help me. I need you. [starts to whisper to Mitchell]

Elizabeth: [talks out loud] Are you sure you want to do this? I will do anything for you. Do you want money? Jewelry? Whatever you want I will give it to you. Just don’t take me. [pauses] Please.

Brian David Mitchell: No, you will be my wife and you will do whatever I say. God has this in plan for you. This is God talking. Don’t say a word. You are my next victim and you will do whatever I say. Or you and your family will die. Let’s go. [ducks under the window] [lights dem and curtains close]

this is based off the book of My Story: Elizabeth Smart