The Rainman | Teen Ink

The Rainman

April 19, 2021
By Anonymous

In a town along the edge of a desert people there put their gourds used to collect water side by side when it looks like it’s going to rain. This particular afternoon the clouds are thick and dark, and dew resides in the air. So the people work diligently to set up their gourds as rainfall isn’t always plentiful in this town. The final person to set up their gourd is a wily man who is the local Potter. An idea pops into his head as he places his gourd down, another town had requested he make a large funnel to collect more water and he was holding on to it until they came to pick it up. So he looks around to see if anybody is still about, everybody has gone to bed in the town. So he takes the large funnel and places it atop his own gourd and the one’s immediately around it. 

That night he waits like a snake and when the rain stops he runs out and grabs the funnel before taking it back to his house. When the sun rises people come out to celebrate the coming of water as they always do and they notice his gourd is filled with more water than anybody else’s. So the people start praising him as it is tradition to think that someone who receives more water is chosen by God. So they declare him king over the town and hold a festival to celebrate his ascension. So the next time the clouds were in the sky and dew was in the air the man now king performed the exact same trick. But somehow the storm avoided the town while news that surrounding towns got dumped on made their way into the town. Over the next month this happens four more times until the town is almost out of water. 

At this point summer has reached its peak in the land, which means it's time to hold the annual king meeting in the local area. So the new king packs his cloak and crown and leaves to attend the meeting, the first true responsibility he’s had while being king. So while he’s gone, a gigantic rainstorm hit’s the land and lasts for three days. When it ends the people celebrate in the street like they’ve never had before because now they were saved from a lasting drought. During that storm someone had put out the king's own gourd so he could collect rain while he was gone. But when the cloud’s part and people collect their gourds they notice his gourd is completely empty. So according to tradition this means they must kill him as that meant he had fallen out of favor with God. So when the king returns he finds an angry mob waiting for him and doesn't even get a formal execution before he’s killed, and the town chooses the person who had received the most rainfall during the last storm to take over as king. Where he enjoys a long and prosperous reign as such.