2021 Kindness Contest: A Warm Hug | Teen Ink

2021 Kindness Contest: A Warm Hug

November 28, 2021
By spicynoodl BRONZE, Chantilly, Virginia
spicynoodl BRONZE, Chantilly, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
-Oscar Wilde


A heavy weight pressed against her heart, forcefully pushing her into a deep, dark ocean. She was chokingly, unbreathingly, unflinchingly falling. The sun, with all its lustrous glory, grew farther from her, as if it was running away. More blue, more blue engulfed her, surrounded her, overwhelmed her. As if coming down a rollercoaster, she fiercely went under, as the water abruptly saturated, filled, overcame her lungs. She couldn’t really explain why or how she came to be this way, but she just felt empty…sinking, sinking, sinking…

Hopelessness and misery remained in her thoughts. Alarms fired in her brain, pounding her eardrums and rupturing the temples of her head. Her vision was too blurry and hazy to see where she was going; she was losing herself. Two specks of light appeared in her vision, quickly approaching her as her movements grew heavier, slower. She was slipping, falling into a place she couldn’t escape from. Without words, without explanation, these two specks grew bigger and bigger, almost life-sized, and they encompassed their arms around her, pulling her into a tight embrace. She gasped, surprise and confusion bursting through her thoughts, down to her throat and lungs. At the corner of her vision, daylight inched towards her, the sun gradually blanketing the blue of the water. Rays of sunlight danced across her face, fingertips, and neck. The light was drastically blinding, so immensely bright, so enlightening, giving off intense waves of heat and comfort. These two figures continued to hug her, until she couldn’t breathe. Adjusting to this newfound warmth, her tears started to melt away. Water evaporated from her skin, as if her body repelled liquids. She saw these two specks of light clearly now; they were her human, her best friends in the world. She was drenched with sadness, but her friends were her sponge; they absorbed the tears, sadness, and all the overbearing emptiness. She was at the bottom of the ocean, her ocean, and her friends saved her from drowning. And as they continued to hug, though they squeezed the life out of her, she could finally breathe again. And there was just so much going on in the girl’s life, so much she didn’t know how to share, but she knew it would be okay.

It will be okay.


The author's comments:

To those lonely and sad: Do you want a hug?