Tact | Teen Ink

Tact

By Jackren SILVER, Shanghai, Other
Jackren SILVER, Shanghai, Other

“Kid, did you move all the stuff away to our house in the suburbs?
“Yeah. Everything is settled there. I’m now in a completely empty room.”

“Good.”

“Dad, do you really think this will make me popular?”

“Trust me, my boy.”

The man in the fireman’s officer uniform put down the phone. He then took out a controller from the depth of his bag and pulled the trigger.

……

“Leave your stuff! Come out now! Quick!”

“But I cannot lose my—”
“DID YOU HEAR ME?! Move NOW, before the fire swallows you!”
“Guys, bend down! I can smell the smoke!”
“Get your nose COVERED. Now let’s get out!”

The residents of Sweet Home apartment screamed terribly, hurrying downstairs for dear life. Explosions roared as the flame crackled loudly.

With the ear-splitting alarm, a fire engine arrived.

“In the apartment on Lorry Street called Sweet Home. We are on the spot.” the fireman named James shouts into his walkie-talkie.

“Good. Great!” the officer responds from back at the station, “Evacuate the crowd immediately. Helicopters will be sent to help you put out the fire. Try to save my son as soon as possible—he is also there. Beware of the smoke—there’s something toxic in it.”

“Roger that.”

The group of firemen runs into the smoldering building with its walls blackened, and its insides dazzling bright with the light of the flame. Thick, black smoke is pouring out of the window.

At the fire station, other teams are waiting anxiously for their fellow firemen. The officer, with the walkie-talkie in his heavily sweaty hand, paces back and forth. The boy knows what to do, he thought. And he will be safe—thank god he can command the rescue.

Yet, silence. Nothing more coming from the other side of the radio. The officer was shaking, breathing hard.

“ We find him,“ comes the voice of James. Everyone at the station smiles and heaves with relief at the news. The officer grinned.

“Your son, Sir, he’s a hero,” remarked James happily, “he must be well-prepared in case of accidents. He was already evacuating people when we arrived, fully armed in fire-proof clothes. That made things easier for us. You know, with more helpers more people can be restored to safety.”

The officer grinned broadly. He then grabbed his bag and hastened out of the room when everyone was too busy celebrating to see him.