Apocalypse Al | Teen Ink

Apocalypse Al

By AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Look, I didn't want to be a halfblood."

I bet you enjoy privacy; Not having people see every text you send or every website you go to. Right? In 2050, that’s a thing of the past. We, the government, see everything people do on technology. It makes it easier to prevent any surprises. Well…sort of. 

I’m Andra Sanders. I am an FBI agent and I’ve handled just about everything from aliens, robots, and mad scientists. You name it, I’ve seen it. I’m the one who’s making sure you don’t text your friends about ending the world. I’m the best of the best and I always get the job done. The boss never had to encounter me about missing something…until today.

“Agent Andra!” My boss, Agent Boss, exclaimed through the office area. “Where are you?”

I instantly stood up. At the time, I assumed he wanted to congratulate me on 5 years of perfect service. Perhaps even give me a promotion! I was wrong.

“There you are,” He said after spotting me. “Have you seen any suspicious texts? Like, end the world suspicious?”

I shook my head. If I had, I obviously would have clicked the big red “EMERGENCY” button on my desk. 

“Well, there is a man trying to end the world!” Agent Boss exclaimed, getting slightly louder. “Apparently, he has gone completely under the radar. You need to find him!”

He stomped away, slamming his office door. Everyone went silent and stared at me. I sighed and began to research. I had always been perfect and I wasn’t about to lose that streak

After seconds, I found him. He went by Apocalypse Al. Wow! Creative. Haven’t heard something like that before.

After I did more research on this Al, I found where he was going to hit next. 

“American Museum of Natural History,” I whispered, continuously typing.

That would be my next stop. It was only a couple miles away from the FBI office in Washington D.C. I knew I wouldn't be able to do this on my own. I quickly picked up the phone and punched the numbers in.

“Linux?” I asked, making sure I wasn’t talking to a fake. “Yeah, it’s Andra. I need your help.”

We met in front of the museum at 6 pm. No doubt he would attack only moments after it closed at 6:30.

“Ok, remind me,” Linux asked. “How do you know he was going to strike here next?”

I explained to him, again, how he posted it on his private social media account. Why would he do that? Villains are dumb.

“Well, that was easy!” Linux laughed.“I’m just happy you called me to help fight.”

I smiled. “How could I not? You always know how to deal with these guys!”

Linux had to agree. He was a lot of things but humble was not one.

Hours went by. We just talked and played card games. What else were we supposed to do? It helped the time go by quicker. Soon, the sunset and we realized nobody suspicious had walked in or out of the museum. We knew what had to happen.

Quietly, but quickly, we got out of the car and ran up the stairs into the museum. We used our key and opened the giant doors. They creaked and groaned like they were warning somebody we were here. I prayed that wasn’t the case. 

“Hello?” Linux called into the building.

“SHH!”  If anybody was here, now they definitely knew we were here now. 

Linux chuckled. He’s my best friend but sometimes, he is a little too impulsive. That’s why he got kicked out of the FBI. Agent Boss doesn’t know I brought Linux along and if he did, I would get fired too. 

Linux and I walked through the dark, familiar halls. I had been here hundreds of times but the inner child in me always got excited when I saw the fossils.

“Hey,” Linux whispered, “what do you think Al is going to do here?”

I shrugged. “Steal something. What else would he do here?”

While we were walking through the dinosaur section, I heard a scream. I turned around and saw Linux being dragged down the hall.

“Help!” Linux screamed, allowing me to follow his voice. “Andra!”

I ran after him, trying to get a good look at the arms dragging him. Every time I got close to them, they turned around the corner, disappearing again. 

When we were in the animal section, I sped up and grabbed LInux’s feet. His captor tripped and fell face first, groaning in pain.

Linux looked like he had no injuries so I decided to handcuff the villain first. I put the metal bands around his wrists and pulled him to his feet. When I got a good look at his face, my jaw dropped. It was…me. That was the exact moment when I remembered every Scooby-Doo movie I have ever seen. I ripped off their very realistic mask to reveal their true form.

“Agent Boss?” I asked, examining his face. “How?”

Agent Boss smiled and suddenly, I heard music. I looked around and the entire FBI office was there,smiling wide and holding balloons.

“Surprise!” They all shouted. “You get a promotion!”

Excitement filled my body. 

“Really?” I asked Agent Boss, hoping for clarification.

He nodded. “You have had perfect service for five years straight. You even figured this one out and brought the necessary teammate with you. Congratulations Andra. You are now a red badge.”

Agent Boss handed me a button that was made for only high ranks. I smiled and engulfed him in a huge hug. I knew all that work was going to pay off!

Throughout the night, I gave everyone hugs, especially Linux. He got invited back to the FBI as a hacker and I couldn’t be more happy for him. Turns out, we were also going to be putting together a team for teenagers. They would be the new generation of spies for years to come.

This is a short story I wrote and I knew I would have to upload onto here. ENJOY!