For Mother Earth | Teen Ink

For Mother Earth

By Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

"I awoke from my slumber amid the night for I had a terrible vision of what the world was going to look like with the sun's gossamer glow turning into a piece of the blaze from hell. Climate change is-"

Hart turned off the TV. He was frustrated with seeing Sasha on the main news.

Sasha Howlett was an environmental activist, known for engaging in protests to take immediate action on mitigating climate change. Her criticism of the authorities in charge while addressing issues on climate change got her in the main news.

Hart was the absolute opposite. He never cared about environmental pollution or climate change because he could not even care about himself. He was an aspiring reporter and yet, he was not hired by anyone due to 'not writing his articles authentically'. And people who 'cared about the planet as a publicity stunt' made Hart fly into a temper.

Like everyone else in their late 20s, why could this beautiful blonde girl who doesn't know how to use her beauty, not work as a model or at least have a stable job at a software company? He thought.

But, saying that Sasha Howlett's life story is heart-wrenching was an understatement.

Like every other woman in her late 20s, Sasha Howlett fell in love and got married to the King of her life. Just as she began enjoying the luxuries of their regal love, Sasha Howlett's husband, Mr Howlett passed away due to a heat stroke. Since then, Sasha Howlett had been researching climate change and trying to mitigate it by bringing the issue to everyone's attention.

Mr Howlett was said to be a victim of climate change. Hart thought that it was only an unusual premature death turned into alarums and excursions by Sasha. That was because he thought that he was never a victim of climate change. Instead, he was underemployed- a victim of mockery by his family members, friends and even his pet dog because of being unable to get a job in his late 20s. Yet, that did not stop him from trying to get a job.

Wearing a frown, along with his tie and suit, Hart headed out for a job interview. He stepped inside the building and approached the interview with not much tenacity that he would ace it because the times he had been rejected in job interviews were beyond measure.

The hiring manager Ariana welcomed Hart and asked him to take a seat. She then asked questions, answering which was effortless for Hart because he was asked those questions countless times before. After the questioning session was over, Ariana looked at Hart, shaping both her eyebrows to form a 'V' shape as her hands followed the same pattern.

"Hart," she began, "You ARE very talented. We CAN hire you. But...You must prove to us that you are worth hiring to join a privileged company like ours."

"What do I have to do?" rattled off Hart, with vim and a little hope in his expression.

"You have to write us an article, Hart," replied Ariana.

"I have written many articles that had not yet made their way to any magazine's issue. I have brought them. You can check them out if you like, Ms Ariana?" replied Hart, with elation as he had many articles written mixed with mystification because he was never exactly sure how to address an interviewer despite attending many interviews.

"Ari's just fine," she replied, like most of his other interviewers and then continued, "Look, Hart! We do not need any of those articles. We need an article about something melancholic and yet, not many have any regard for it; something unfolding and yet, not many see the light about it; something silent and yet, some have been affected by the sound of it."

"Okay, Ari," said Hart, looking at her, "I think you already pondered over what that 'something' should be. So, what should I write about?"

"Environmental Pollution! Climate change! Anything regarding that!" exclaimed Ariana, "The article must be gripping. See me in 7 days at the very same time as today with the article whether we would hire you would depend upon the words you have written on the piece of paper, Hart. See you then!"

Hart was displeased with the offer. But, he had no choice if he wanted to stop everyone from ridiculing him. He went home, sat on his sofa and used every single nerve in his body to think of what to do to write the perfect article about the environment.

Just then, his phone rang. It was his friend Joe.

"Yo Hart," he spoke boisterously, "Whatcha doing? Are you free tonight? Of course, you are free not just tonight but every night. And every day! You're jobless after all."

"Not anymore, Joe!" laughed Hart, "I am just one step far away from getting myself the job. But, there's a slight issue."

"Tell me!" said Joe, showing his eagerness to know through the phone.

"I had this interview today and the interviewer told me that I am talented enough to be hired," began Hart, "To get hired, I should write an article about environmental pollution and submit it to her in 7 days."

"Too easy," murmured Joe, "Now tell me what are the main threats of climate change, Hart."

"What! Is climate change a threat?" asked Hart, not understanding the question and not knowing the answer.

Joe was taken aback by Hart's gullibility on such a rising issue as climate change. But, he had an idea. If Hart followed his suggestion, he might be able to write the perfect article and finally get hired.

"Listen, Hart," started Joe, "You seem to have ZERO knowledge on the themes your article is supposed to be written. But, I know someone who can help you."

"Who? Please tell me, Joe," pleaded Hart.

"You know, there's this environmental activist who is the talk of the world these days. I believe her name is Sasha Howlett," said Joe, making Hart's mouth form into a disgusted expression, "She's staying by city hall today. You can try to get some help for your article from the pro, Sasha Howlett. Judging by her speeches, I am sure that she would be more than delighted to help."

"Yeah, good idea. Bye, Joe," hung up Hart in vexation.

He thought of it for some time and upon realisation, he decided to follow Joe's idea. He called his sister Aurora who worked at a hotel by the city hall.

"Hi, Aurora," began Hart, "I got a job offer and to get hired, I have to write an article. I need to find out where Sasha Howlett would be staying tomorrow. Can you please find out and tell me, Aurora?"

"I'll call you back, Hart," said Aurora and hung up, after which she called back in a few minutes, "Sasha Howlett will be staying at the inn a few metres away from our hotel for the upcoming days as her campaigns would take place by the city hall this week. You can meet her during the campaign or before it starts early morning."

Hart knew what he had to do. He made up his mind. Early tomorrow morning, he would wake up and go to the city hall and meet Sasha Howlett before the campaigns start and try to get Sasha Howlett's help to write an article worth reading. Simple as that!

The next morning, Hart woke up early and set out to the city hall. He saw the campaigners getting everything ready. As he looked around to see where Sasha Howlett was, something caught the corner of his eye.

There she was, picking up the litter thrown in random spots and throwing them in the bins while the passers-by looked right through it.

Even hearing the name 'Sasha Howlett' had always made Hart aggravated. But, something changed within him when their eyes met.

"Sasha Howlett?" called Hart, as her messy bun flipped open when she turned around.

"You must be here for the campaign," assumed Sasha, as she tied her sunny blonde hair, "Thank you so much for your time and effort to join us. We-"

"Excuse me, Sasha," interrupted Hart, awkwardly, "I'm not here to join the campaign. I'm here because I need you to help me. By the way, my name is Hart."

"And how do I do that, Hart?" asked Sasha with a change of expression.

"Look, I've been trying to get myself a job for ages but instead all I received was rejection. After a myriad of interviews, someone said that they'd hire me if I write an article that covers the theme of environmental pollution, climate change, blah blah blah and submitted it within 5 days."

"So?" asked Sasha, rather scornfully.

"Can you write the article for me-"

"And let you get the credit and the job," said Sasha, not letting Hart finish his sentence, "No, I won't. I will not write an article for you for it is an affront to what my entire campaign means. This issue is more than just a couple of inklings on a piece of paper."

"But, can't a piece of paper at least tell a part of this entire thing?" asked Hart, "Can you please help me write the article? Getting myself the job would mean the world to me."

After much persuasion, Sasha replied, "I will help you, for the sake of my mission, of course. But, I will NOT write the article for you. Instead, I will make you comprehend the issue and then, you can write the article yourself, Hart."

Without much of a choice, Hart nodded, "I am okay with it. So, what's next?"

"Come with me," said Sasha, handing Hart a signboard that read 'Keep the sea, plastic free' and pulling his hand, leading him to the group of campaigners.

Standing next to him with a loudspeaker and a signboard, Sasha looked around, "Guys, it's time. Let's continue our fight for our mother earth."

The campaign began and Hart began to get an idea of what was happening. He never knew what it was because he would turn off the TV every time Sasha Howlett would come up. But, fate made him stand beside Sasha Howlett and be part of her campaign.

After the campaign was over, Sasha took Hart around the city and showed him actual-live examples of what environmental pollution was and explained the silent crimes that happen through the pollution.

Hart began to understand what truly was happening. For about a few days, he and Sasha met and discussed about the issues in the environment and he gradually realised that he was having second thoughts about Sasha. Why had he misunderstood her? Why did he judge her without knowing what her intentions meant?

After getting his ideas from Sasha one last time, Hart went home so that he could finally write his life-changing article. He titled it 'Sound Pollution- The Unspoken Issue' and wrote about how noise pollution was silently consuming the lives of people. He was sure that he would be getting the job tomorrow.

After giving the finishing touches to his article, Hart was about to get his beauty sleep so that he would wake up fresh for tomorrow but suddenly, his phone rang.

It was his friend Joe.

"Ayo Hart! Whatcha doing?"

"Joe! What would people be doing at night? Constructing a new commercial centre? I'm sleeping, Joe. I WAS until you called me. This better be important because I'm sacrificing my sleep for you," said Hart, purple with frustration.

"Cool, buddy!" laughed Joe, "I just called to ask if you wrote the article."

"Yes, I did! And I know that it's fire. I would definitely get the job. Ari would be impressed with my work," said Hart, boisterously.

"Well, Hart, that's what you said after writing for all of your previous interviews," said Joe, sarcastically.

"Yes, but this time, I mean it, Joe," said Hart as he hung up and went to bed.

The next morning, Hart, who was dressed as if he was somebody's coworker, headed to Ariana's office.

"Ari! I brought in the article," said Hart, panting as he had used the stairs.

"Thank you, Hart," said Ariana, as he handed her the article, "But, you could have taken the elevator."

"I would have but Elevators are responsible for more than one-third of carbon dioxide emissions around the world," said Hart and then he realised what he actually said.

He took a seat as Ariana began reading his article. He began thinking and then realised that hanging out with Sasha for a while, unknowingly changed his actions. A slight part within his heart cared for Mother Earth, and Sasha had brought it out. Hart further realised that he not only developed a feeling that he should stand up for all the misdeeds occurring to Mother Earth but also that he developed feelings for Sasha.

He knew how it felt to have no relatives and to be mocked by all sorts of people and he wanted to be there for Sasha. She might be a widow but still, she was a good widow, who not only cared about herself but also for the earth and all of its inhabitants.

Ariana stood up, "Lavoro eccellente, Hart! Excellent work! You are hired. You are like a gem found by our institution. This article would get us a lot-"

Hart interrupted, "Thank you, Ari. But, on second thought, I don't want this job."

Ariana pleaded, "No, Hart. Don't say that. I will buy this article from you. How much are you willing to sell this for?"

"I am not willing to sell my work, Ari. I'm sorry," said Hart, "But, there's some other way you could help me."

"Anything and everything," said Ariana as she settled down.

"You have to shine some light upon Sasha Howlett. She needs help. She's fighting for us, for our lives. If you want me to report or write for you, all I would write about is the environmental issues emphasising Sasha Howlett's missions and protests. That's it," said Hart.

"You scared me for a moment, Hart. I can do what you asked me to. I mean, I will be more than obliged to. Publishing about Sasha Howlett would bring us a lot of money after all," grinned Ariana.

"Thank you, Ariana. Sasha does need some help from an institution like this so people can open their eyes to what's happening around the globe," said Hart.

Later that day, Aurora called Hart. He answered the call, wondering why she was calling him- she never called him except on special occasions.

"Hart, Hart!" breathed Aurora, heavily, "Sasha Howlett is having a protest by our hotel. Our hotel has the minister of environmental affairs, whose actions Sasha has criticised. The minister had asked the police to use tear gas on the ones who are protesting. The police used water to attack all protesters. They mistook me to be one of the protesters as well. I am drenched, Hart. Come and help me before they use the tear gas!"

Hart rushed towards the hotel where Aurora was working. Sasha was in great trouble and he had to be there for her. It was now or never!

Meanwhile, Aurora was somehow saved as the hotel staff confirmed that she was working there. She called Hart to tell him but he had left his phone at home.

As Hart headed to the area where the protest was taking place, he saw the police use tear gas to dissolve the protesters. Sasha was on the floor, coughing, wiping her eyes and trying to stand up through the burning sensation all over her body.

Someone held out their hand to Sasha and helped her get up. She narrowed her eyes to see who it was as if she was looking at the bright sun. It was Hart.

"Hart," she muttered, "What are you doing here? You have to submit your article today, right? Do you need my help again?"

"I did submit the article, Sasha. And what makes you think I came here only for help? I came here for the environment, for us, for you," said Hart as he and another protester stood by Sasha as pillars of support so that she could remain standing.

"For me?" asked Sasha, still squinting.

"Yes. I will always be there for you," said Hart.

"For Mother Earth!" said Sasha, looking forward.

"For Mother Earth!" said Hart too, looking forward.

"For Mother Earth!" shouted all the protesters as they lifted their hands to symbolise 'movement' in unison.