When Doors Open and Close | Teen Ink

When Doors Open and Close

June 2, 2023
By arjohnson1112 BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina
arjohnson1112 BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When Doors Open and Close.

She looks at her outfit neatly pressed and hung up on the back of her bedroom door. Her foot molds to her high heel shoes and her body is accentuated in her dress. As she gracefully sits at her vanity, she examines herself. Her long blonde hair is curled and pinned to the side; her big blue eyes are on display due to the shimmer on her blue eyelids. She wanted to dress to impress; she wanted to emphasize the things he loved about her. Her dress is one of a kind. She chooses her lovely lilac dress for this occasion; she knows that it is his favorite. Noticing the time, she quickly sprays sweet perfume on her fair skin. She admires the beautiful bottle of  Lancôme La Vie Est Belle perfume. She remembers him saying,“ It is almost as sweet as you are.”

Rushing towards the door, she stops and admires the lovely roses that were left at her door yesterday. With a grin on her face and a tint on her cheeks, she exits her house.  The sun begins to set but her nerves rise.  Her car is in motion and so is her heart; he always told her to follow her heart; she is finally listening to him. His affirmations overcome her mind and heart. 

As she walked up the stairs surrounded and greeted by other people, her eyes were longing for the sight of her lover. She walks into the grandiose room, the scent of fresh flowers fills her nose, and the colorful lights beam in through the window.  Sitting there, she is left alone in her thoughts. She remembers their first date, the way he looked at her, and the way his hand fit perfectly in hers. She remembers their first kiss, the love and passion between them. She remembers the way they would laugh together over anything honestly, the way he would try to serenade her by song in the car. She could almost hear his deep voice singing “Just The Way You Are” by Bruno Mars. She remembers the way he would whisper sweet nothings in her ear, and finally, the way they would dress up almost in a disguise when they would go out. She remembers the humor they shared; it was theirs. His voice and laugh fills her ears as she remembers the sweet yet corny joke he used to win her over:“What do you call two cupids who fall in love? A match made in heaven.” She remembers the way time would pause when they were together, now that time is escaping from them.

 She sits there squirming in her church seat, smoothing out her dress, her impatience is killing her. One by one people enter;her gaze is caught upon the man. His brown hair is slicked back, framing his perfect features. He is perfectly fitted in a sleek black tux with freshly polished shoes. His blue eyes meet hers, and she feels at home. She can almost smell his cologne:Eternity by Calvin Klein.She purchased it to symbolize their love and how it would last for eternity. She could still smell it, just like the way she did when he would embrace her.

 A warm sensation overcomes her senses. A blush tint arises on her cheeks once more.The whole time he saunters to the front of the room,  their gaze never breaks. She carefully watches him, remembering every moment, every little detail. A singular tear falls from those blue eyes that he so loved. Time has truly escaped from them;they both now know it. She watched him saunter away to the front of the room. 

 “You are engaged,” she reminded herself. She is quickly drawn back, their gaze broken when a soft melody begins to play, his gaze is now fixed on the girl at the edge of the rose petaled aisle.Two big doors open as her heart closes.


The author's comments:

This semester,I took the challenge and tried a Honors Creative Writing class.This specific piece stood out to me while completing my portfolio.I am now embracing the journey of the publishing world.