Late Night Shift | Teen Ink

Late Night Shift

By AMCLRIDCA PLATINUM, CDA, Idaho
AMCLRIDCA PLATINUM, CDA, Idaho

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away.

I shivered as I stepped outside the calm warmth of Pete’s Coffee shop; and into the dark street. One of the streetlights flickered, and I stared down a brighter street. I Wished I hadn’t agreed to take the night shift. May Street was quite eerie, more eerie than even I could have imagined.
After walking a couple of blocks I was vaguely aware of the sound of footsteps somewhere in the distance. But when I glanced around, no evidence indicated that there was anyone. I proceeded to speed up my steps, and heard louder, quicker steps behind me; this time much closer. I paused; making sure it wasn’t just the echo of my anxious footsteps. But as I paused, there was a rustle in the bushes to my right.
I started to back away from the rustling. I had only backed away a few steps when a dark, tall, hideous….THING, stepped out of the bush itself. I let a scream that would boil blood pierce the night. The thing smiled a wicked smile that sent shivers down my spine.
“Go… See what waits…” It rasped. Then it blended into the shadows, a ghastly laugh following it through the darkness. The laugh was like a hyenas, but like a hyena that had not had anything to drink for a while. So the laugh was strained, as though it took a great effort. And it was ghosting in the direction of my home.
I ran as fast as I could, but the thing beat me to the house, and disappeared. I was afraid to go inside. But I hesitantly stepped through the door anyways. What I found made me want to step right back out. Furniture was strewn across the floor, the curtains were ripped. But that was not the worst part of the entire scene, no; not the horror- movie- like room. But what was in the room itself. My mother was sitting on the sofa, a dark pool at her side. A knife lay in the pool, and the dim light of the lamp showed multiple stab wounds that had been administered.
I choked back a sob. Then I walked out of the living room, and into a stream of blood that led down into the kitchen. As I saw what had caused the stream I gagged. My sister lay in a crumpled heap. Her arm was on a chair, and it looked as though she had nearly gotten to the phone before she died. The blood that had led me here was from her head, leg, and stomach, where she had been repeatedly shot.
I let a tear escape me now. For I was more scared—and alone, than I had ever been. I heard a low groan from the study. I walked like a zombie to it. And sure enough there sat my father. There were clear strangling marks across his throat. He groaned again. His face was lying down on the keyboard.

I hurried over to him, and turned him over, only to be more disgusted. His face was distorted, and purple. He mumbled something when he saw me. “What Dad?!” I asked anxiously. ”Run.” He managed to get out before he went limp. Tears were flowing freely down my face now. There was a creak behind me on the floor. I whipped around, and there IT was. I was abruptly angry, “WHY?!” I screamed at the top of my lungs.
The creature laughed again, its smile sent another round of shivers down my spine. “Never go walking on May 25th….just after a late night shift…” It cackled its hyena like laugh once more and was gone.
I ran and ran all night long. I just wanted to get away from this place. It was morning before I saw anyone. And then it was a police cruiser. I could hear the officer speaking to someone as he pulled up.
“Roger that, I’ve got the suspect in sight.” Then he stepped out and told me. “You’re under arrest.” I gasped, astonished.
“Whatever for officer?” I asked. His eyes turned cold, hard, and angry.
“For the murder of your entire family."

AMCLRIDCA PLATINUM, CDA, Idaho

Thanks!!! (: And I will keep that in mind when writing in the future! ( I dont know how to delete it!) (:

MoonlitxRose BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"If at first you don't succeed, try again."

Scary! This was nicely written though! The line where you said 'I was abruptly angry,' you should delete the word abruptly and just have 'I was angry.' The word abruptly just doesn't seem to fit with that sentence. But other than that, it was nicely written and scary!

AMCLRIDCA PLATINUM, CDA, Idaho

Not much, sadly! But there were plenty of goosbumps and a 'that was creepy.' :)

writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

Nice!!!! How much screaming was involved?? lol!!! :) :)

AMCLRIDCA PLATINUM, CDA, Idaho

Thank you! And i did. I actually wrote it last year a couple of days before May 25. It kind of freaked my sister and friends out... (:

Ambrose Bierce

That was really good, you should show it to someone on Halloween (or May 25th) :), you might get a good laugh out of it! :)