Remember and Forget | Teen Ink

Remember and Forget

By StoryBox34 SILVER, Caldwell, Ohio
StoryBox34 SILVER, Caldwell, Ohio

Families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts. -Anonymous

Small twigs and dead, dry leaves crunch beneath my bare feet with every step I take. It’s hard to keep my balance on the uneven, moonlit path I’m following. It leads to a small meadow, where I once arranged a few rough, log benches in the center as a child. I found this sanctuary when I was just a young girl, and I have visited it many times since then. It’s a place where I can clear my thoughts, tell the forest my problems, and get answers back.
I haven’t visited my getaway in a year or two, so everything seems to have changed slightly. I find my childhood doll buried in a small mound of ferns that cling to her. I had forgotten her here, and she is now a dirty, tattered mess. I pick her up and put her in the pocket of my jeans. When I stand back up, I close my eyes and take everything in at once.
The wind whistles through the leaves in the trees surrounding me. It sends a soft chill down my spine to remember how I always loved that sound, though it is only my second favorite sound out here. I have always been completely mesmerized when I hear the cooing of the native owls. They make such a beautiful sound. I can’t believe I am going to have to let all this go.
The wind blows again, and I can taste the crisp, summer air. I inhale strongly through my nose, hoping to pick up the scent of the pine trees. At the first hint of their smell, I start to cry. I slowly make my way to the old, now mossy, log-benches and sit down. The rough bark punishes me, trying to scratch the backs of my legs. I sob for a few minutes, then stop, realizing I have only a few more minutes to truly appreciate this place for the last time.
I gently lift my head to look at the moon, and find a large, graceful owl flying in front of it. The stars twinkle softly in the sky. I now know I have never seen anything prettier than what I am seeing right now.
I start to walk back, but I turn around at the mouth of the trail I have taken so many times to get to this gorgeous scene. I take one last deep breath, looking at everything in my sight: the trees, the plants, the greens…my childhood playhouse.
I can’t stay any longer. It’s time to leave, so I turn back toward my beloved path and head home. That was the last time I’m ever going to see that place, and I can’t get myself to let it go. Another gust of wind runs past me, and an owl screeches loudly. I look up, and I see the owl that was in front of the moon. He’s following me, as a part of my past, inspiring my future.

I was writing this for a project for school at first, but I think it has become one of my favorite writings that I have done. I'd have to say that this piece was inspred by my life over all... I have moved 2 times, and though that doesn't seem like alot, it feels like it when it is happening to you. Ask anyone who has moved to a different town, or city, and they'll tell you just how hard it is when you have grown so attached to the people you live your life with. It's like someone ripped a carpet out from under your feet, and nobody is there to help you up...

StoryBox34 SILVER, Caldwell, Ohio

I figured you would like this one :) Actually, when I wrote it, I thought of you :)

franc BRONZE said...
franc BRONZE, Dexter City, Ohio

it's not peer pressure, it's just your turn!
live from the past live in the present live for the future
you never forget the face of the person who saved your life (not personal but GREAT book)

beautiful. ♥ you! (: