My Mind's Eye | Teen Ink

My Mind's Eye

By JulieRae13 SILVER, /, Other
JulieRae13 SILVER, /, Other

"All I ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you"

When I close my eyes, I find myself awake in a different world. This is the world in which my imagination plays, and it is fuelled by every thing I have ever seen and warped images that only I have seen.

I stand atop dew-kissed hill as I watch a ghostly mist seductively approach me. It clings to my skin and strips me bare of my mortal qualities, freeing me from my earthly restrictions.

The wind blows through the trees and causes them to lean towards each other, gossiping furiously. The grass simply whistles, cheering on the return of the breeze and secretly coverts its freedom.

A pair of bird with feathers of delicate foil rest upon my shoulder for barely a moment before setting off to pursue a jeweled fish playing in the swell of the molten gold stream below. They flew gracefully and with purpose, their paths plaited together, beginning their chase. They plunge their silvery beaks into the water, but the fish only glances back devilishly at them with its ruby eyes before vanishing. They birds began to sing in a hushed tone as they dipped their wings into the stream. The water clinging to their wings, they started to feel the weight of the increased value of their flight. Their song became a dirge as they bid farewell to their meal and the evening light as if it were a past love.

The sun is just a crimson stripe across the horizon, slowly being devoured by the violet sky. The whispers of mystery are echoed throughout the land with only the fireflies preserving the solace of light. They escalate into the heavens and challenge the cold stars to find they have already won.

When our eyes are open to reality we see nothing at all. It is only with our eyes are closed can we truly have vision.

This is a descriptive writing piece illustrating the inner workings of my mind.