The Earth | Teen Ink

The Earth

By PoetLaureate274 PLATINUM, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
PoetLaureate274 PLATINUM, Manitowoc, Wisconsin

"You have not even begun to scratch the surface of how important your life means to not only me, [y]our friends and [y]our family, but your life, which is a gift for the world that is waiting for you." - Brent Smith.

I am life, and I am death. I hold trillions of living things. I can take life away, and I can give it back. I take the old away, and new ones take their place. I am light, and I am dark. In comparison with others, I am small, but no living thing on me has seen all of me from the surface. I have lived over 30,000,000 times as long as any man. I am solid, and I am liquid. Hot and cold. I have but one follower, and it is around me all the time. I can be rock solid, or you can slip right through my surface. If you fight me, I will win. If you do not, you will lose. Nobody can match my power. No one even comes close. In some places, I am beautiful. Others, breathtaking. Others, horrifying.

I am life. I am death. I am the world.

Before I was living, I was molten. Some say my follower, the moon, was formed from a large asteroid striking my surface and breaking a part off of me. Nobody knows how life started on me. It just did. The first creatures on my surface were fierce and large, though they were killed off by a rather painful asteroid strike. Then, as a result of the asteroid strike, I froze over, protecting myself from future strikes that might scar my surface. Then, in this frozen wasteland, man emerged. I will not reveal the secret of how this happened, it just did. Nowadays, pollution is slowly killing me. I may have to kill off these humans soon. Very soon. I am sick of them chopping my beauty to pieces, and scarring me with those “Architectural marvels” they are always building on me.
Soon. Very soon. . .

I wrote this when i was in 6th grade, for a unit final. we had to do an autobiography as an inanimate object, so I chose the Earth. to date this remains one of my best pieces of writing.

I wrote it in fifth grade for an assignment, and saved it on my computer. It crashed, and we were only able to recover a few files from the hard drive. This was one of those few.

Under-the-Rain GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

Are you ready to go to battle with your mind?- Written by me :)
Lost the battle, win the war//Bringing my sinking ship back to the shore- Paramore, Now

so beautiful, i can see why the editors chosed it