A Modern Twist on Genesis | Teen Ink

A Modern Twist on Genesis

By BrandonT GOLD, West Newton, Pennsylvania
BrandonT GOLD, West Newton, Pennsylvania

There was an explosion in the dark void. From it shot the building blocks of the universe. Within 1,000 years of the explosion a planet covered in a primordial ocean had formed. Within 2,000 years land had rose from the depths and it was made up of volcanoes and marshes. Within 3,000 years trees and plants randomly generated from the the marshy lands known as Eden, but scarcely generated from the volcanic lands known as Nod. Within 4,000-5,000 years animals randomly generated and evolved from and in the lands of Eden and, some, wandered into the lands of Nod. Within 6,000 years three humans, known as Adam, Lilith, and Eve, were the last to form from the marshy lands of Eden. Within 6,050 years of the explosion, the marshy lands of Eden dried over and the volcanic lands of Nod cooled down. When the lands of Eden dried and the lands of Nod cooled, creation ended. Adam wandered Eden to find a mate and found Lilith.They had three children: Mot, Hel, and and Rebekah. A while later Eve found them and Lilith grew jealous and away into the lands of Nod. Adam then had two sons with Eve, Cain and Abel. When the children grew up Abel stayed and Cain wandered off into Nod to find Lilith and have offspring. When Cain left, Adam and Eve had Seth, Sarah, and many other children. Humans back then lived longer so they could bear more offspring and raise them all. 2,000 years after the formation of humans a giant rock came from space and hit into the southern ocean. It caused the waters of world to cover most of the land. Humans, being greater in number and more advanced, built massive arks in the months preceding the the rock's impact. They were able to do this and survive because they could see the rock approaching the Earth in the sky. The most prominent of these Atlantean ark-builders were: Noah, descendant of Seth and Rebekah, Gilgamesh, descendant of Mot and Sarah, and Deucalion, descendant of Abel and Hel. After about a month the waters receded and the humans started to rebuild. The first nation to be formed 500 years after the flood was called Babel and it covered the Earth. The king of Babel, Nimrod, had his people build a tower to the heavens, known as the Tower of Babel. To anger the king and, in turn, make him release them, the builders and their families came up with different tongues to frustrate Nimrod. In his anger he had them banished in all directions and they ended up using their different tongues. Due to his stupidity and anger, Nimrod's mighty nation of Babel fell in ruins and new nations started to appear.

I wanted to modernize and retell the story of genesis.