New Short Story | Teen Ink

New Short Story

By Darbs1325 GOLD, Columbus, Georgia
Darbs1325 GOLD, Columbus, Georgia

Life is a reflection of intent....love reflects love....hate reflects hate....-Jonathan Lockwood Huie

When the world puts you down, keep your head up!-Anonymous?

~Friday, March 28: 0200~

It’s two o’clock in the morning. My insomnia is keeping me up…like usual. I lay my head on down on my pillow, wishing that I could fall asleep. Closing my eyes, I start to count sheep, like a child, but sadly, it doesn't help. Just when I’m beginning to lose hope in falling asleep, I actually begin to feel drowsy. I start becoming wrapped in the sleepy darkness. My phone rings and I’m wide awake once again. Flipping my phone open, I look at the caller ID. It’s Felix, my boss.

“Good evening, Miss Jenkins.”

“Morning, Felix. Care to explain why you’re calling at two in the morning.”

“We’ve got a case for you.”

“About...?” I was beginning to lose my patience.

“Head to base; I’ll explain everything when you arrive.”

“Sure. Be there soon.”
Felix, he’s a middle aged man. He’s at least fifty years old. He’s already bald, but he has a beard. It doesn’t make since. He’s one of the palest men I’ve ever meet, but his eyes are so blue. They’re almost like the ocean. He
Ending the call, I slip out of bed to change out of my nightgown. I slip on a black tank top, blue jean shorts and red sneakers. After I’m dressed, I head to the bathroom and brush my teeth and hair. I apply a little mascara and eyeliner. Then I’m out of the house, grabbing my keys, briefcase and phone; locking the front door on the way to my car. I unlock my car and slide into the front seat, throwing everything else into the passenger seat. I crank the car to a start. The engine starts and I’m off to headquarters. My phone begins to ring, minutes after I start the car. I grab my phone and flip it open. It’s Alex, Alexander James Moore, my idiotic, immature partner, who works cases with me.

“Bella! You answered. Thought you were gonna ignore me like last time.” His deep-ish voice was one good thing about him, though. I groan, “Stop calling me Bella, you moron. And last time you called me, I was tied up, gagged and had a gun to my head.” He laughs again. Oh Alex, that boy. I just want to slap him right now.

“Oh yeah, forgot about that. Also what’s your favourite fo…”

“What do you need, Alexander?” Irritated, I didn’t want Alex to finish that question.

“Boss called. Said to meet at the gas station of White River Road.”

“You’re kiddin’ me?” I was completely annoyed now.

“Nah.”

“Ugh…I’ll be there in ten.”

I slam my phone shut. I was completely annoyed. Ugh, Alexander River, I’m going to kill you myself one day.
I make a quick U-turn and I’m heading toward my new destination.

This is a new piece I'm creating and I would love some constructive criticism and reviews on this so I can improve and continue writing this piece to the best of my abilities.