Is Friendship More Important? | Teen Ink

Is Friendship More Important? MAG

By Anonymous

   "I want a horn," screamed Lamb, out of the blue. Unicorn, who was Lamb's best friend, patiently, but very annoyed replied, "Did I ever tell you about how I got my horn?"

"Yes, Yes, Yes! A million times, yes!" replied Lamb irritably.

"Well, I'm going to tell it again," stated Unicorn. "I was just a regular horse when ...

"Zzzzzzzz" came the noise out of the Lamb's nostrils.

"Are you listening?"

"What! What! Oh, are you still going?"

"Yep, okay, let me continue. One day I fell asleep in the foothills and oh, I was pretty."

"Whoa, wait a sec. Were you really pretty?"

"Yes, now stop interrupting."

"Okay, fine."

"I was a white horse and I fell asleep and slept till noon and when I woke up, I had a horn on my head. I scoured the land for days when I finally found out that the morning star had hit me in the head. It gave me a nasty bump that never healed and that's how I became a unicorn."

"I still want a horn," said Lamb, through gritted teeth.

"Okay, okay," said Unicorn, growing more irritated. "We will find a way to get you a horn."

"Thanks, you're a pal," said Lamb, slapping Unicorn on the back.

* * *

Unicorn, growing very impatient, waved his gentle, elegant colorful horn around and gaily said, "I have an idea!"

"Well, I had an idea a year ago," shouted Lamb.

"You did? Why didn't you share it with me?"

"I was being polite," said Lamb, very smugly.

"Okay, you go first," said Lamb and Unicorn together.

"Okay, we will both say it at the same time," announced Unicorn.

"Here it goes. We can go to the foothills and let you (me) get hit by a morning star. Hey, that's my idea! Okay, since we both agree, then let's go," they said together.

So they trudged up to the foothills and fell asleep. They were awakened by the morning star pacing back and forth saying to them "No, no, NO!"

Lamb rubbed his eyes as if it were a dream. "Why did you wake me?"

"Because," replied the star.

"Because what?" shouted Lamb, starting to get annoyed. "You woke me up and won't answer my questions and all you can say is because! I think not!"

"Now, now," said Unicorn, awakened by all the yelling. "What is this all about?"

"He won't tell me what's wrong," said Lamb in a very whiny voice.

"Okay, Star, what's your problem?" said Unicorn.

"My problem is there can only be one Unicorn and if I hit Lamb on the head, then there will be two. The first Unicorn, being you, will have to live with me on Moonland. My mother is coming over and we were planning a tea party," Star replied, close to tears.

"Okay, okay, give me the horn," replied Lamb, careless about the consequences.

"Nooooooo!" screamed Star.

When the star stopped screaming, Unicorn said, "I'm a good house guest and I've always wanted to travel."

"Oh," said the star, "one more thing with this horn. You have a new name."

"A new name? What is it?"

"Lambicorn," Star replied.

"So long," cried Lambicorn.

"Yeah, yeah," Star said.

So Unicorn and Morning Star slipped away to Moonland, leaving Lambicorn in the distance.

* * *

Soon Lambicorn became sadder and sadder and his horn became heavier and heavier because he didn't have as strong a neck as Unicorn. He became desperately worried because he wanted to be old frisky, happy Lamb again. No one would talk to him and no one would even look at him because they knew that Lambicorn took the happiness out of the forest. Soon Lambicorn was crying every day and became very sad. Finally, he went up to the foothills to wail for Unicorn. Morning Star heard him and said, "What do you want?"

"What do I WANT?" shouted Lambicorn. "I want Unicorn back"

"What about your horn?" muttered Star.

"No more, no more," said Lambicorn. "If I give my horn back to Unicorn, then I will be liked again and I will not have a crick in my neck."

"Okay, okay, but Unicorn was such a good house guest and he entertained my mother beautifully," Morning Star grumbled.

"Buuttttttttt!" cried Lambicorn.

"I said okay," interrupted Morning Star.

So a cloud arose and a beautiful white horse emerged. "Unicorn, is that you?" asked Lambicorn.

"Yep," said Unicorn.

"But you're pretty."

"I told you," replied Unicorn.

"Excuse me," butted in Star. "But you will not be called Lambicorn anymore, instead, it will be shortened to Lamb AGAIN!" he said through gritted teeth. "And you, Unicorn, will get your elegant horn back."

"Hooray!" shouted Unicorn.

"Under one condition - don't make Lamb jealous. Don't let this ever happen again. I have a mother to get to, you know," Star said, angered.

"Take this off my head, it hurts." complained Lamb. So Star switched the horn from Lamb's head to Unicorn's. As soon as he got his horn back, Unicorn laughed gaily.

Soon they were back in the forest. With the return of Unicorn, all the animals cheered, because they knew happiness was back in the forest. A week later, they were sitting in a field, when Lamb started, "I want a horn!"

"Uh oh, here we go again," cried Unicorn.

THE END (or is it?) 1