It's Not a Nightmare | Teen Ink

It's Not a Nightmare

April 23, 2014
By CountryPopGirl PLATINUM, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
CountryPopGirl PLATINUM, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
38 articles 16 photos 64 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You love someone, you open yourself up to suffering, that's the sad truth. Maybe they'll break your heart, maybe you'll break their heart and never be able to look at yourself in the same way. Those are the risks. The thought of losing so much control over personal happiness is unbearable. That's the burden. Like wings, they have weight, we feel that weight on our backs, but they are a burden that lifts us. Burdens which allow us to fly..."
-Dr. Jack Hodgins (Bones)


The image blurred, then darkened. My last thought before I blacked out was: Why did he do this? Why had my father hit me? When I woke up, I couldn’t find any answer. Or my father. Albeit, I didn’t care to see him right now. Putting a hand to my face, I still felt the burn. Forgetting about that, I tried to turn on my bedside lamp. Dead, still. I guess the electricity hadn’t come back on yet.

Getting up, out of bed, the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. When the blackout started, people were running and screaming. Something was off. I crept down the stairs, afraid someone (my dad) would scare me. He wasn’t there, though there was a note:

Ellie, don’t go outside.

Tearing it down, I opened the door to see a mob of people. In the dim moonlight I could see my father’s leather jacket. I marched toward him yelling and coughing, “What’s going on dad? Why’d you hit me?” The air tasted foul, like when you mistake a beer as ginger ale. He slowly turned around and looked at me, dazed. “Dad?” He charged at me, at the slowish zombie pace. It wasn’t really running, but the horrible air kept me from judging in real time.

Before I knew it, my dad had tackled me and was trying to eat my face. I kicked him off (I still don’t know how) and was held captive by two other zombies. I got a chance to look at my father. No bites, no scratches, no. . . nothing. How did he turn turn?

Then it hit me: the air. Almost every zombie thing (mainly games) told how people were bit or that the infection was inside of us. But there was this one game. It had people initial turn by breathing in toxic chemicals. Then there were bites, no infection in the human population, etc. I stopped after a couple of minutes (a half hour) ‘cause that initial turn made no sense to me. Right now, I wish I had played more of it.

My father came at me again, mouth wide open. I feel bad for this, but I kicked him. He fell to the ground, but attacked my leg. The zombies on my left and right chowed down on my arms. Without a doubt I fell, I just can’t remember hitting anything, zombie or pavement.
I want to say it was like going to sleep, but it wasn’t. Suffocation makes you feel like your lungs are on fire and bites, well, it feels like things are ripping your flesh off to put it plain and simple. The only similarity was that my vision went quickly. The image blurred, then darkened. Forever.