The False Neighbors | Teen Ink

The False Neighbors

By rachaellynne23 SILVER, Centerville, Iowa
rachaellynne23 SILVER, Centerville, Iowa

Someone must have broken the window, because when I got there was a hole in the window and glass all over the floor. I had 3 neighbor kids who have their friends over all the time to play ball in their yard. That when I went in my house and looked around the room and found a baseball under my couch. I picked up the ball and went to my neighbor’s house. I knocked on the door and Sarah the children’s mom answered the door. I held up the ball and she gasped.
“Did my children do this?” Sarah asked. I nodded my head yes and handed the ball to her. “This is a warning, next time you will have to fix my window.” I told her. I went home and called the window repair man. He came and fixed the window and everything was fine for a while.
About a month later I came home from and the window on my front door was broke and my front door was wide open. I got out of my car and ran to the front door. I got to the front door and looked in my house and it was a mess. Somebody had broken in and trashed my house. I walked in and ran straight for my bedroom. I had so valuable things in a box under my bed. My room looked like it hadn’t been touched. I still looked under my bed and the box was gone. I ran to my, grabbed my cell phone and called 911.
The cops showed and I told then what I had come home too. They went in and started looking around and fingerprinted as much stuff as they could. They had me grab a few clothes and they sent me to a hotel.
I was there for about an hour when the police called me. They had found a note that said “We have been watching you.” I gasped. “Where did you find it?” They told me that it had been under my bed and when I asked where under my bed they told me it had been exactly where the box was. It had to be somebody that new where I hid the box and what everything meant to me. The only person I could think of was my neighbors.
They were on vacation so they couldn’t have done it. I called the police officer back and told them the only person I knew of that new where the box was, was my neighbors. They told me they would check it out. That night I lay in bed and couldn’t sleep. All I could think about was where that box was. If my mom knew it was missing I would never hear the end of it.
Eventually I fell asleep. But I could only sleep for a couple hours. When I woke up and couldn’t go back to sleep I decided to take a hot shower. When I turned the water on it as clear and looked like it was supposed to. I let it run for a couple minutes to get hot and when I came back everything was red. I screamed and ran to the front desk. I rang the bell over and over and over. Nobody was there.

I walked around the lobby and all that I could find was a janitor. I told what had happened and he said that wasn’t supposed to happen. We ran back to my room and when I opened the bathroom door everything looked like it was supposed to. Nothing was red. I looked at him and he shook his head at me and sighed. He walked out the door looking more upset than when I found him in the lobby. I took a shower and then I went back in and lay down. I fell asleep while watching TV.
I woke up a few hours later to the phone ringing. It was the police telling me that the results from the finger prints were in. The fingerprints belonged to my neighbors. The neighbors I had come to trust in the last 6 months were criminals. They had stolen people’s personal belongings before. Their dad/husband was in prison for murder. This started to explain so much. Why they always kept to themselves, why the children never got punished for anything they did wrong. I told the officer thank you.
He said that I needed to stay indoors, and out of sight from anybody that could give the criminals a lead on where I was. I hung up the phone and my cell phone started ringing. It was my mom. I answered and all you could hear was heavy breathing and muffled screams. I hung up and call the police immediately and told them what had just happened.
I told them I was driving to my mother’s home whether they liked it or not. I ran outside to my car and started driving. When I got my mother’s house it was starting to get dark and there were police cars already there.
I parked as close as I could and ran up to the nearest officer and asked him what was going on. He told me to get back and mind my own business. At this I got irate
“Excuse me; you want to tell me to mind my own business about my mother! No, I don’t think so! Tell me what is going on now?!” he looked at me and his eyes looked twice the size as they were before.
“There is woman in the home holding your mother hostage. We have reason to believe that it was the same people who broke into your home.” I pushed past him and past everybody who was standing there and burst through my mother’s front door and threw myself on the floor.
Nobody knew if she had a gun. I got up and started running around the house. I got to my mom’s bedroom and there they were.  “Why are you doing this?” I yelled at the woman whom I knew as Sarah. My mother was crying. The look she had in her helpless eyes.
When I saw that helpless look I charged at Sarah and tackled her to the floor. We wrestled around on the floor for what seemed like forever when I grabbed a pillow and held it to her face. Whenever she quit moving I got up and untied my mom and told her to go outside with the officers. I bent down to the woman to see if she was still breathing. She was, I ran outside and told the officers that she was inside unconscious. I walked up to my mom and we hugged each other like we had just met.
“Are you okay?” I asked her. She told me she was “I just want to know why this happened.” I explained to her exactly what had happened with the break in the box and how this woman used to be my neighbor. She told me that she was very proud of me for what I had done.
I took her to my house and I made her some fresh coffee and then we went to bed. The next morning I woke up and she was right next to me in bed. That moment in my life I knew I had made the right decision. That morning as I was just getting out of the shower, there was a knock on the door. It was an officer holding a box. I took the box from him, said thank you and closed the door as he was walking away.
After my house was broken into I got a security alarm. With the people in this world you never know who is going to try and break into somebody’s house and steal stuff. I’m just lucky that I was able to get the box of very valuable things back.
I’m sure you are still wondering what lies in that box.  What lies in that box is something that nobody knows about. I am a descendent of Bill Gates. He is my uncle, u know my mom’s brother.  The first design of Microsoft is in that box on a hard drive. The $50,000 check is from my uncle for me to go to college. I didn’t use it.
Instead I saved up the money and paid for college myself and I have been saving the check in case of an emergency. Now I know that I am going to have to put that box in a very safe place so nothing like this happens again. When I had told my mom she was devastated.
This all happened 5 years ago. I still haven’t used that check to this day. It is going into the bank tomorrow to pay for my mother’s funeral. She died late last night from heart failure. She didn’t want me to use the check to pay for everything. But that is exactly what I am going to do. The last words I heard come from her are that she loved me. My mother was my world. I lived to take care of her. Now I have a dog for company and I am hoping this dog relationship will work.