Grabbing Trees | Teen Ink

Grabbing Trees

October 28, 2014
By Sarbear1011 BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
Sarbear1011 BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
2 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Different but Beautiful"


In a dark mildew, fogged over forest, a dark Gothic architectural mansion stands alone.  Gates surround every side, and trees slouching, appearing to grab at anything that crosses by their paths.  It’s said that the mansion’s haunted; that no one is ever seen going in or coming out.  The doors haven't been opened by a living, breathing person for years, and now they are possessed by vines and the souls that have been banished and forced to stay in the physical world. 
Inside the mansion; old dusted over furniture stands, untouched, unused, unloved; with the exception of one room. Clutter fills the magnificent but unkempt cell; used crumpled up paper, eraser dust piled up, books scattered about, and pillows seeping from their rightful place on the bed to the dark decrepit floor.  Curled up on the window seat, a man around the age of 25 locks himself away.  Long black hair, electric blue eyes, thin masculine face, and a tall thin lanky body.  Tears stream down his face as flashbacks and nightmares haunt every crevice of his mind. These things haunt him every day and remind him of the horrible things that he had done.  Selfishness, greed, the desire to control one's own fate; these things lead him to sell the most important part of anyone’s body. 
(Nightmare/Flashback Begins)
The young man walks along; brightly colored, green, orange, and red leaves pass by.  Happiness fills his contagious smile.  He was on his way to meet the girl of his dreams and his heart was filled with hope; hope of convincing her to marry him even though they barely knew each other, hope of them falling in love, spending the rest of their lives together.  All of his life had led to this moment; all of his happiness would rest in her hands.  The waterfall, at which they had agreed to meet, slowly grew from a small dot.  Heart raising, hands shaking, sweat sliding down his forehead. 
The time was finally here.  He walked up and gently tapped the small feminine like character on the shoulder.  The figure growled and slowly turned around growing taller and taller. 
(End of Nightmare/Flashback)
         Screaming and sobbing the man sits up fast; throwing the blankets on to the floor and running to small decaying door on the other side of the room.  He ran to the counter and frustratingly turned on the water.  Water splashed on to his face and ran into the sink turning red and then disappearing in the drain.  Confused and scared he looked up to come in contact with the creepy, disturbing character that he had met once in the person and many times in his nightmares.  Screaming he jumped backwards and collapsed on to the floor.  He buried his face in to his knees.  He imagined himself sitting next the girl that he once desired to be with. Then he thought about what could have happened in his life if he wouldn't have done what he did; if he wouldn't have given up everything just to get exactly what he wanted.
         Standing up slowly, the man walked to one of the windows in his room and peered out.  Vines covered the window which makes it difficult to see anything that lay behind it.  After staring out the window for what seemed like hours he began to pace back and forth whisper to himself. “I want out.  I want out, I want out!  Please go away, please reverse the deal, please let me be free, I just want to be free.” 
         The man was now in tears and rocking back and forth on the creaking floor.  Slowly he crawled to the bed. He laid facing the wall; praying to himself  “Please; allow me to wake up in a better place; with a better future waiting for me and happiness, love, laughter, and things back to how they were before my mistake.” After worrying himself sick and tossing around the man finally fell into a deep sleep.
(Beginning of nightmare/flashback)
“All I need is a signature in blood, then all of your wildest dreams will become reality.”  The growling bitter voice echoed.  Dark red human ink leaked on to the paper forming the letters of the young man’s name.  
(End of nightmare/flashback)
         Drenched in sweat the man opened his saddened eyes waking from a deep and terrifying sleep.  He laid in bed for the remainder of the day.  Sobbing, screaming, begging for help, and contemplating ways of escape. 
Nights and days passed; the nightmares and reflections never stopped.  They hadn't stopped since a year ago when he decided to make that horrible deal that damned him to the life he now has. His depression and loneliness filled his whole body and made it difficult to move even the slightest bit.  “I have to get out, I need to leave this world, I can't do this anymore” the man screamed.  He was begging to go insane and couldn't bear to look outside or even get out of bed. Night after night the nightmares got worse; almost turning into reality. 
  On another gloomy day in the middle of October the man woke up from another horrible nightmare and decided it would be his last.  He walked over to his dark melting desk and took his seat.  “I’m done, I’m going to end this all.”  He growled grabbing out a piece of paper, envelope, and pen.  He began to write his last form of contact; a letter to his family.

Dear loved ones,
I know I have been gone for a long time, and I have not contacted anyone for over a year.  I am terribly sorry.  I am writing you now to tell you my story and let you know how much I care for you all.
A little over a year ago I made a big mistake.  As I’m sure you all know; I am a very selfish person and because of this and my greed for riches and love I made deal with the devil.  I had fallen for this beautiful women that I had met in town, but to my surprise she was not real; the devil was tricking me in hopes of making a deal with me.  When I went to ask for this woman's hand in marriage he exposed himself making his offer.  If I gave away my soul I would have eternal happiness, love, and riches.  Although he did give me riches I have yet to find the women that I want to spend my life with; because of course, she doesn't exists which forbids me to have happiness.  Ever since that horrific day I have been haunted by nightmares and flashbacks; supposedly this is teaching me a lesson ;although this “lesson” has worked and I have learned the bad in my ways, I can’t take this pain anymore.  These flashbacks keep getting worse and are making me miserable; and for this reasons I must say goodbye.
I am so sorry for the ways I have treated you all, but I love you with every piece of my broken heart.  I hope you all have an amazing life and find great happiness.  Thank you for everything you have done.

Love,
(Man’s signature)
        
After sending out the letter the man walked back to his room slowly.  Shutting the door behind him, he cleaned up the room around him then placed a chair in the center of the room. Around the chair he laid the things he cared about most. Sobbing he said his last words; “I love you family thank you forever thing.  I am so sorry but I can’t take this anymore”   then he stepped off the chair.

(Conclusion)
The world can be a cruel and mean place; bullying, greed, selfishness, evil, and so much more.  But people have the chance to make it better. Being a good kind hearted person is such a great and amazing thing.  We all live on this planet together, so let’s do our best to be the best that we can be.  Accept everyone, be kind to everyone even if they aren't kind to you.  Be the person that stands out in the crowed and helps others.  No matter how small the act of kindness is it will never go unnoticed.  Be a good person, and lets make the world a better safer place.
 



 


The author's comments:

I wrote this for a class project; although it's dark and sad I hope it can give people insperation to be better people. 

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences