God's Presence | Teen Ink

God's Presence

By kmoragues BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
kmoragues BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

It was a regular Monday. The first day of the week came along as it always had. Teachers loaded on homework, like always. I had to bring home my geometry, chemistry, and theology book home that night. I came home from school and immediately had to rush to work. Working from 4 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. can cause a lot of stress on a teenager. Monday nights at Arby's start out with a rush and eventually the night turns into the speed of a turtle. I am constantly glancing at the clock in hope that time is flying by, when it is not. Once the night starts slowing down I begin working on my heaping pile of homework. As drive through keeps beeping, along with the fryer, and credit card machine I am overcome with a sense of anger. I begin to treat the customers rude and with disrespect. All of a sudden it hit me! What am I doing?

I cannot take my anger out on another person. No matter the level of stress I am feeling I need to learn how to control this. A man who comes to Arby's quite often appeared in the drive through once again. But this time it was different. He applauded me for my great service even under the amount of stress he could tell was lying on my shoulders. He told me that no matter what was wrong right in that moment would eventually end. All my suffering and struggling with school and work would not matter anymore. I concluded that this was my mission from God. That man made me feel so much better, and I realized that that is my duty to help others as well.

On top of all my projects, tests, and quizzes I had to make time to help other people. I was in a constant battle with myself whenever it was time to volunteer. I had an excuse to get out of the missionary work that I knew I needed to do. But then again, next Monday the man came through the drive through once again. He again made me feel great about myself and my work. He complimented my strategies such as taking an order before taking the money of the next person in line. He made my day so much better. This simple act of kindness was a reassurance that it is my duty to help other people.