True Friendship | Teen Ink

True Friendship MAG

I can't believe you've actually left me, Samuel. You've gone ahead and done it. You walked out that door and I really don't believe you have any intention of coming back.

We've been together since sixth grade. I remember when my friend introduced me to you and I brought you home to meet my parents. I was so excited for them to get to know you. I walked home that brisk autumn day and it seemed like nothing could go wrong. You were by my side where I felt you always belonged. Since that day, if you weren't there, I felt empty. You've always been there for me. Whenever anything went wrong in my life I could run to you. You never said much of anything. You just let me cry on your shoulder and somehow I knew you understood. Understood me far beyond the capacity of anyone I'd ever known. Just looking in your face and getting lost in those big brown eyes, it seemed as if nothing in the world mattered, least of all my trivial teenage problems. I remember staring into those eyes until I saw my reflection. A scared little girl with a tear-streaked face and wet eyelashes. It used to make me laugh. Laugh right out loud at my foolishness. You would smile your goofy little smile and life would go on without a single world said. I looked forward to seeing you every day. I always found it strange that I didn't become annoyed with you. I was getting frustrated with my friends. One talked about boys too much, while the other chewed her gum too loudly. Not with you though, I never day dreamed of escaping to mystical magical lands when I was with you. Probably because you brought me to them. We had so much fun together. We were able to find trouble wherever we went.

I hope you haven't gone for good. I didn't mean to yell at you. You know how I can lose my temper sometimes. I do love you. But I'm sure you already know that by now. You left once before, I remember: I was eleven. My heart ached all week. I couldn't sleep. I would stare out my window waiting for you to return. Don't do that again. Oh, why did I yell at you? I should know better. The one thing you have never tolerated was a mean voice. I will wait for you tonight, Sammy. I will sit in the backyard in your doghouse until you return. I don't care what Mom and Dad say. I won't listen if they say I'm too old for foolishness like that. You are my best friend; you are my dog; you deserve it.

i love this !

LovelySerena said...
LovelySerena, Dededo, Other

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches on the soul. ~Emily Dickinson

Really cute. I have two dogs. Or HAD. One of them died so it was really saad for me. But, amazingly, my other one gave birth to 7 new puppies! Wow! Love this story!

Lizzy16 BRONZE said...
Lizzy16 BRONZE, Westerville, Ohio

"Treat others how you would like to be treated."

awwwwwwwwww

Aamna said...
This is amazing. I thought this person was talking about a boyfriend! you had my attention all throughout the story . Check out my work called the Precarious Pursuit

Thunderfirst said...
Wow. I agree with thedaydreamer13... very touching. I really liked it.

PippinP GOLD said...
PippinP GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois

Faith is like learning to walk; you have to fall at first, but don't stay down. When in doubt, don't stop believing.

Good job...You kept my attention the whole time, and had me feeling with you.

thedaydreamer13 BRONZE, Delta, Ohio
wow... touching

good job with the emotions! :)