Apocalypse of the Past | Teen Ink

Apocalypse of the Past

By ZiadTheCreator BRONZE, Ames, Iowa
ZiadTheCreator BRONZE, Ames, Iowa

BEWARE! THE INFECTION IS-- Wait, you aren’t infected are you? Hurry, it’s dangerous out there...I’m Blækwin Sæmann. I don’t care what your name is, we must hurry. The corpses are everywhere, many streets deserted, houses that will never have life within them ever again. The infection is highly contagious, for anyone who caught it soon died after, but the persons that were around them also got infected just by being near them, and then they died, but the persons that were around them got infected, and the persons around THEM got infected, and you may have gotten the idea. It soon got out of hand. I do not know how this...this...accursed disease came to us. Are the Heavens above angry with us? We may never know. Maybe the Priests can tell us, but I, Blækwin Terrovin Sæmann, lord of the once prosperous Knavesmire, am now in rags, working as a...a...a nasty, filthy, undignified peasant. Can you believe that! A peasant! But   not that that matters anymore, indeed? No quarrel, eh? If we live through this I might quite say that you’d make a fine vassal or armiger, a very adequate one indeed.I might get generous and make you mine. Back to the task at hand…*now where was I?*...Aaaaah, yes, peasants at this time actually have a very nice reward. We want oxen for our land, and only the best land, and that is a very nice reward indeed. But the reward is enough or nearly enough, considering the dangers around us. I will call this infection the… I do not think that there is a word so terrifying to describe it. I shall call it The Pest. Let's just hope that  the human species exists furthermore. Indeed, let's hope it will. The disease will make you ill for two to three days, rarely ever more. Then suddenly died, as if the disease was at full health. Now let’s avoid that, shall we?
    We went to my brick house, one of the only houses that have life in them...but possibly not for long. I had a tile roof to keep out those cursed rats. It is very unusual that wherever the rats are, death usually soon follows, but the rats do not carry the infection...I think. Well, one thing is for sure: those rats are PESTS!
    Once I got in, I nearly dropped in fear and shock. There were rats. Rats everywhere. Everywhere I looked there were rats. I cursed under my breath. I had thought that I had closed the door. Apparently I didn’t. Suddenly, a rat screeched and ran at me. Immediately, all of the rats came swarming at me. I regret that I ever opened that door, for trouble was to soon follow. A rat ran up to me and bit me and my new company. We have caught the Pest.
    It started with certain swellings in the groin or under the armpit. Soon later, they grew to the size of a hen’s eggs. They then grew to the size of apples. Then I found black or purple spots on my arms, my thighs, and everywhere on my body. There is no way to stop the infection. Slow the infection. Escape the infection. Recover from the infection. I am gone. I am gone. I am gone. At that moment, I decided that I was going to live. Not for a very long while, but I will survive. For now.
Come on. There must be too much miasma in this area. We must flee before it gets worse. There also may be cosmic effects in this area. O, curse my blindness, why couldn’t have I seen this sooner? Well, there is no going back now, so we had better be going now. Are you with me? Excellent. First, we set off to see a doctor. We had to walk on foot, of course. We set camp within the hour, with nearly no supplies and no one in sight. No one alive, anyway.
We set off the next morn, to find the known Nostradamus, the Doctor. We soon came to a small town, with a red cross on every door, which means they contain victims. I wonder when my house will have a red cross on it. Near us, a Searcher was calling out to take the deceased, but there were no persons left. We may be the one he will be looking for. Soon, I thought. We shall see.
We went to see if there was anyone to guide us the way but instead came across an unbelievably large hill of dead persons in the middle of the village. But persons were not the only thing that was in the streets, though, there were also many feline, canine and murine corpses all over the streets. Hundreds of them. They were everywhere. Time to move on.
We passed the main market square and followed the main street of the town, and passed by an inhabitant and asked him where he was going, and he told us he was heading to a priest to tell him all of his sins before he died. He must have also been infected. Well, we have nothing to lose. Let us go. We followed the man and soon came across the priest that the man was speaking of. The man confessed all of his sins to the priest. Within the hour, the man died. Why hadn’t the priest saved the man? I am starting to doubt the priests’ power to rid us of the Pest. I went out.
We set camp for our first day.
We awoke. It is the second day with the Pest. I heard some screams and sounds of shuffling feet. I saw dozens of persons on the street, all carrying a scourge with three tails in his hand and started...whipping each other. How surprising. They called themselves “Flagellants”. Some even died. Not surprising. They all did that because  they “wanted to achieve redemption”. How silly. I do not know what whipping each other would help if we are all going to die anyway. The Church must not have approved of it. We hurriedly moved past the crowd. We must move on...again.
We soon came across another group of people, but these people were holding pikes and knives. It was a mob. They were shouting out "He's right! He's right! Same on any man who saves the gentry from being wiped out!" I too was fed up with the king. He has done nothing so far. Time to join the mob. You’re welcome to join me. There’s no point in good morality anymore. They went all around, destroying houses...and murdering...children included. Then we went to the castle, where the knight lived. I regret that I ever went there. When we reached the castle, we broke down the gate and went inside. Many slaves were slain that day, and I was infinitely guilty when killing one behind a knife like a coward. We went inside the knight’s bedroom; he’s the owner of the house. He caught sight of what was happening, then he yelled “ Blækwin! Are you in control of these savages?!” On a closer look, I found out that it was my brother. Oh, no. We were both bound to a pole and brought outside. I wonder what will happen. They lit up a lantern and walked away. Then they took a generous amount of wood and put a foreign liquid all over the huge stack of wood. Then they threw a lamp and lit it. This was a bonfire. And a spit. We were raised into the spit and we never escaped…