The Snake | Teen Ink

The Snake

June 15, 2016
By Escipeace BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Escipeace BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 articles 13 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just when the caterpillar thought her world was ending, she turned into a beautiful butterfly."


   Hiss! The rain was just one continuous hiss; One big angry snake. The rain was loud, but the girls mind was...silent. She saw, but she did not observe. She heard, but she did not listen. The one thing she did do was feel. That was all she could do, and unfortunately it wasn't something she wanted. She could feel the invisible wounds and scars on her body ache. Keeping her invisible pain at bay was exhausting, but doing anything more, just tightened the barbed wire, which lived in her mind, making her aching wounds bleed.

   The trees were tall and dark around her. The road stretched against a horizon that never seemed to change. Rain and darkness, all fit in one ongoing road. There was no one. With the little strenth she had, she began to run. Her footsteps were splatters against the monotone hiss. Splat,splat,splat. Suddenly her pace slowed and a gasp escaped. She came upon someone. Her blonde hair was a drop of sunshine, and as their gaze met, her eyes were stunningly blue, yet sad.  As the girl began to observe the someone, she saw everything. She saw the invisible scars and wounds covering the others body. The girl stuttered and then spoke,"Do you see mine?"

   The someone intently gazed directly into the girls eyes and slowly nodded. The someone's eyes began to water and even against all the rain, the girl saw tears, and lots of them. Something moved within her. There was a sharp pain. Tears began to stream from her eyes too, and after lowering to the kneeling someone, they fell into a warm embrace. Their wounds were touching, and their tears mixing. The pain was beginning to lessen, and the snakes' hissing began to cease.


The author's comments:


This  story is a giant metaphor of the art and beauty of healing. The reader will take from it what ever they get out of it, but its essential essence is one of healing.