Author Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Author Laurie Halse Anderson MAG

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Probably best known for her novel Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson has won multiple awards for her writing. With novels like Fever, 1793 and Twisted, she spans genres and tackles unique plots. Her latest novel, Wintergirls, is available now.

Rachel: How were you inspired to write Speak? Was it based on a real-life incident?

Laurie Halse Anderson: Speak is about 10 percent based on the depression I suffered after I was raped, and 90 percent fiction.

Were you involved with the making of the movie “Speak”?

I was given the opportunity to work on the script, but I turned it down because I was busy writing a novel. I was on the set for three days, and had a cameo appearance as the lunch lady who serves Melinda mashed potatoes in the cafeteria.

Are you happy with the final product of the book and the movie?

I think Jessica Sharzer, the director, did a remarkable job with very few resources. Showtime dictated the change to the ending – there was nothing anyone could do about that. But I thought Kristen Stewart and the other actors gave great performances. And I was thrilled to hear so many of the lines from the book make their way onto the big screen!

Where do you find inspiration for your novels?

From my readers.

What is your favorite of your books?

I don't play favorites. This way my characters don't gang up on me.

Who are your favorite authors?

Neil Gaiman, Elizabeth George, Deb Heiligman, and Charles Dickens.

Which authors have influenced you?

I really have no idea. Probably someone who studies literature could figure that one out.

What advice do you have for aspiring teen writers?

1. Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot do this.

2. Be nice to your parents, because if you want to be a published author, you'll probably wind up living with them after college. For a decade.

3. Real writers revise their work over and over and over. Just sayin'.

"Speak" is one of my favorite books and movies! It was exciting to get to interview the author!

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thinking up the questions is always the hardest part, especially since I want each interview to be unique. And thanks!

SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
This is a great interview...thinking of questions must have been hard. Anyway, you have great talent! Good job!

scott said...
on Jun. 4 2015 at 12:50 am
#AmongtheHidden Love that book

on Jun. 4 2015 at 12:49 am
I'm doing a report on her for Language arts and I love her and the books she writes.(they are amazing).

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

I asked her. :)

AllSoPlayfulWhenYouDemonize BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia

"Our passion is our strength."
-Billie Joe Armstrong

I love her! She's amazing! How did you get to interview her?

I love her! My favourite sixth grade book as a kid by her was this book about this bunny from the Vet Volunteer Series!

Thefanatasticagirlie101 SILVER, Euless, Texas

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our mind. That's what I hope to give you forever." ~The Notebook

That is so cool that you got to interview her. If I got to interview an author, I would interview Margaret Peterson Haddix!

Exactly, don't judge if you have no idea of who the author is.

TitaniEm GOLD said...
TitaniEm GOLD, Piedmont, South Dakota

You are enough!
You are so enough!!
It is unbelievable how enough you are!!!
-Sierra Bogess

She is like my favorite author! Wintergirls would have to be my favorite and then Speak and also Catalyst. :) It is so cool you got to interview her!!! I'm actually doing an oral interp piece that is cut from Speak. She is such a talented author!! Thanks for this article. :D

Tanian20 said...
she's a great author 

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

The interview date would be July 7th, 2010. Are you going to post your paper anywhere? I'd love to read it. If you're going to post it anywhere, you can send me a link at rachel-reviews on Tumblr. :)

somewhatinlove BRONZE, Great Falls, Virginia
She's actually a very talented author. I loved Speak <3

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

How could you know she sucks if you've never heard of her?

thatoneguythathateschool BRONZE, Jensen Beach, Florida

I hate poetry and school... alot

never hear of her because she sucks  

jessse said...
using part of this interview in my college paper! trying to give you proper credit, what was the date that you interviewed Laurie?!

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thanks so much!

dropsofink BRONZE, Fort Knox, Kentucky

"But words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think."
-Lord Byron

I love Laurie Halse Anderson! Good interview.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Honestly? Just google "[insert name here] contact" and hope for the best! That's how I do it the majority of the time. :)

LittleMissLostInParadise GOLD, Cumberland, Virginia

"We live in a strange bubble"
-Brian Molko

How would I be able to interview her? I am really interested.