Gatsby Fan Fiction | Teen Ink

Gatsby Fan Fiction

By IMelgoza BRONZE, San Jose, California
IMelgoza BRONZE, San Jose, California

If The Great Gatsby was written in 2018

In the middle of an exhilaratingly fast ride down Highway 101, Gatsby puts his hand on the shoulder of my brand new Nike sweater, that I just bought, and with a very nervous and quiet voice, he manages to let his words out of his sewed-shut mouth. Gatsby says, “Nick, I need you to do me a favor bro.”

And with nothing, but the most concerning thoughts I replied, “OK, what do you need man?” As he switches lanes to get to the exit where the In-And-Out we were headed to was. Gatsby’s hesitation was holding him back from speaking, right up until he ordered his burger, then he went silent once more until we sat down at the red colored table. He takes off his Ray-Bans and says, “I want you to give your cousin, Daisy, my Snapchat, so I can ask her to go to the movies with me, but I’m too scared to ask her myself.”

Trying to hold back my laughter, I said: “Why are YOU of all people scared to talk to a girl, you're around so many at your parties you throw every weekend ?” Gatsby took a deep breath, rubbed his hands over his face and told me something shocking

“Alright bro, here’s the whole story, 8th grade was the first time I had ever met Daisy. I was on the field during break playing soccer with my friends, when one of her friends called me out of my game and told me there was someone who wanted to talk to me. Being the ladies’ man I was and still am I went over to investigate.” Gatsby said. “At this point, I had only heard her name in the halls a couple of times before. And had only seen her face for a split second before she walked into her class. As I turned the corner of the building we were walking towards, I saw the prettiest girl I had seen.

She spoke only 2 words to me before I had fallen into love with her beautiful soothing voice, “Hi, Gatsby”, said Daisy. “Nice to finally meet you, I’ve heard so much about you.”

“You...you have?”, asked Gatsby.

“Yeah, actually a lot! So I know we kind of just met and all but, I called you over to ask if you wanted to come to over to my house this weekend for my birthday party, my parents are on a business trip so they won’t be there. It would be cool if you came.” said Daisy.

“Yea I can go, I’ll just tell my parents that I’m going to my friends' house.” said Gatsby excitedly.

“Cool take my number and I’ll text you the address, see you there.”

Gatsby told me that that party is where he found his first happy experience brought to him from a girl. He told me how he and Daisy were the only 2 inside the house while everyone was in the backyard of her house actually partying. He and Daisy had no interest in the actual party, instead, they were on Daisy’s couch talking to each other. Having the best time in the world just getting to know one another better than they did before. They were hitting it off so well at the party, that Gatsby found the courage in himself to ask Daisy to start hanging out at lunch on a daily basis. Starting right on the next day, Gatsby and Daisy would walk around the school every day of the school from then on. Talking, making jokes, laughing all while their relationship became stronger and stronger. But, on one fate changing day, all things took a sudden turn for the worst.

Gatsby described to me what had to have been the blackest rainest day that there had been in our young lives. “The weather was horrible bro, it was coming down so hard. After I got dressed that morning, I went downstairs and heard the saddest news ever told to me bro.” explained Gatsby. My parents told me that their job had to move them out of the country to Britain. My ride to school that day was horrible, I had never felt a ride to school feel so intense. While my parents were arguing about how this would all go down, I was in the back seat wondering how I was going to tell Daisy.” Gatsby told me. He then went on to explain that once he told Daisy his pain. The next month Gatsby was on a plane to England never to see his Daisy again. Before he left he promised Daisy that they would be a couple the next year so they were to remain single until Gatsby came back. But Gatsby never came back, which made Daisy seem to forget about him and drift off to another guy, and they would be together all through high school up until senior year of high school which was Gatsby came back.

And after a long 4 years in France Gatsby convinces his parents to quit their jobs and move back to Califonia. Gatsby ends up going to the same high school as Daisy, but he sees that another guy has his arm around Daisy. He was actually the 4-star recruit quarterback of the school. Gatsby was so afraid of confronting him because he didn’t want Daisy to not recognize and be embarrassed. Gatsby’s parent found new jobs, which had them working the night shift so they were gone every night, including the weekends, until very late. Gatsby found this to be the perfect way for him to reunite with Daisy and get her back, he told me the reason he has so many parties every night is that he wants to have Daisy come over so they could talk on the couch while everyone else partied like they used to. He says he’s thrown parties every Saturday in hopes that Daisy will show up to one. But Daisy has never shown. So he asked me, “OK bro, now that you know why I can't go talk to Daisy myself can you please give her my Snapchat bro?”

“Sure man, I’ll help you give her your snap.” I replied

My name is Isaiah, I am a Junior at Del Mar High School. I play varsity football, baseball, and I wrestle varsity as well