Tea Time | Teen Ink

Tea Time

November 30, 2018
By zoe1226 BRONZE, San Jose, California
zoe1226 BRONZE, San Jose, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was a normal day in my lovely home in East Egg. I was walking up my stairs gracefully until I heard the telephone ring. I made my way back down and hastened over to answer.

“Daisy speaking,” I spoke tenderly.

“Why hello Daisy, it’s Nick. I was wondering if you would like to come to my place for tea this afternoon?” Nick replied.

“Of course, I’d enjoy that! I’ll leave you waiting no longer,” I exclaimed.

“Great! Oh and Daisy, hold off Tom on this one,” he said firmly as he hung up.

As I began to freshen up a tingling sensation lingered in my stomach, as if it had seemed a little infrequent of Nick to invite me over with the specific request to leave Tom out. I brushed it off and made my way to West Egg. As I arrived, I stepped onto the cold wet ground. It was a rainy day and every so often I felt a fresh cold breeze hover across my legs and face. I rang the doorbell waiting for Nick to let me in.

“Hello Daisy, come in!” He said joyfully.

As I made my way in I turned into the living room and was taken by surprise.

“Oh my goodness Nick, these are extravagant!” I said while gasping.

The room was filled with bundles of flowers that were as astonishing as the sun glistening on the bay. I could not take my eyes off of them. As I look around, I turn my head as I dropped a few flowers I had grabbed in my hands.

“Oh my gosh. What are you doing here??” I said staggeringly while taking a step back.

“Hello, Daisy... it’s nice to see you again. Have a seat will you.” Gatsby said while making his way from the entrance.

I was in such disbelief. I had realized why that peculiar feeling occurred in my stomach earlier. We were sitting a few inches apart, silent for a bit. Although we were close it had felt as if we were light years apart. I was quite happy to be with him once again but I mourned at the fact I am a married woman now.

“I know this was not what you had planned, Daisy. I mean it has been 5 years since we've last met. Nick is out running errands and I thought it was a perfect time to catch up,” Gatsby remarked breaking the silence.

“Why yes, you have caught me in a bombshell quite some bit, Gatsby. How have you been?” I replied with a few tears escaping my eyes falling upon my soft cheeks rolling onto Nick’s light brown couch.

“It’s been a rough journey without you. My purpose all along was to find you and go off into the life we had always dreamt of, together. I even built a mansion for us” He spoke as he gently wiped away my tears.

“Gatsby, I’m married now, I have a family. Perhaps you have been holding on to a fairytale and forgot how long you had me waiting. I tried but it’s just too late.” I said pushing myself away from his possessing bright eyes, trying to stop the vivid memories from replaying in my mind.

“Daisy Please, just give me a chance. I’ve made plans for dinner tonight! We can go as just friends. I just need time with you.” Gatsby said beggingly.

“Okay, fine. Just as friends.” I said.

“I will pick up a quarter to 7. Be ready.” He replied while smiling from cheek to cheek.

I made my way back home. When I arrived there was no sign of Tom and I was too distracted to care about his whereabouts. I quickly opened my closet and gathered my soft silk white dress and pearly heels. I looked in the mirror and stared in incredulity of what this day has come to. I was in such shock to be having my past rekindle all so quickly Just as I finished getting dolled up I heard a knock outside of my window. I peaked out and seen it was Gatsby and made my way outside.

“Why don’t you look stunning!” Gatsby said in his bright red tux and white tie.

“You as well!” I said cracking a smile entering his yellow Rolls Royce.

We made our way towards the city and entered a restaurant filled with other silk stocking folks. We weaved our way to our table where I found Jordan and Nick seated alongside. Nick had on a plain cream-colored tuxedo and Jordan wore a tight fitted peach dress. The waitress came briskly after Gatsby and I took our seats.

“Good evening, I’d like a bottle of your most divine red wine and a plate of your sizzling lobsters please, and a glass of ice water on the side if you don’t mind,” Gatsby said assuredly.

“I’ll take steak with red wine please,” I continued.

“Jordan and I will have the salmon with red wine,” Nick yelled out.

As the waitress exited with our orders we chartered amongst ourselves about our days. Our food came fast as if the waitress requested some type of rush. We all enjoyed our meals but Jordan and Tom left shortly after, leaving Gatsby and me alone.

“Tonight was lovely. Thank you, Gatsby.” I said happily.

“No need to thank me, I think this was a great start into reopening what we had left off,” he said while pulling me into his arms and laying a kiss on my lips.”

At this moment, I knew I was where I belonged. All this time he was the missing piece that filled up my empty soul. I love him for who he is, not his wealth. With no waste of time, I grabbed his hand and we made our way back to my house to pack my belongings. After this night I was no longer a Buchanan, I am Daisy Gatsby. We lived happily ever after in our mansion in West Egg. 🝔


The author's comments:

Credit: A work of fan fiction inspired by scene 5 in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Rationale: I chose to recreate this scene so that Daisy and Gatsby ended up being together for the rest of their lives. In my opinion, that’s how the story should have been, instead of Daisy and Tom staying together when Gatsby and Daisy loved each other for who they were, not because of their wealth.