Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

February 27, 2019
By sades26 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
sades26 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met.” - Melody Truong


My name is derived from the name Sarah and means “princess.” Sadie.  Full of sass and spunk, Sadie is the third grade girl with the hot pink lunch box.  She has the sparkly Justice clothes from head to toe. The zebra stripe pajamas. The bright purple leggings in a sea of black ones.  Like the number five and the orangish yellow color of the sun, it mimics a spontaneous night out in Chicago. It’s the name of a girl with many layers like a rainbow cake covered in sprinkles.


It all started when my grandma was watching one of her favorite tv shows, “Truth Be Told.”  One of the main character’s names was Sadie. She immediately suggested the name to my mom. It was a miracle.  My parents both fell in love with the name. To them, Sadie was like the one bright, shining star in a dull sky.


In the olden days parents wanted the gender to be a surprise. That is, until their babies physically entered the world.  Convinced I would be a boy, my parents settled on the name Levi...boy am I glad I wasn’t a boy.


It’s rather amusing that when people hear my name they think, “isn’t that a dog’s name?” Even though this might be true, it doesn’t phase me. It shows just how unique and interesting my name really is.  


Sprout, taters, tay tay, tater pie, sades, saders. Only a few of the many nicknames I have been called throughout my life so far.  Sprout came about when my mom decided to create my own little signature hairstyle. It was like a cute, tiny, and almost non existent plant sprout shooting out of the ground.  Taters and tater pie on the other hand, well, these stemmed from my crazy love for potatoes.


My name is like the fuzzy blanket or sweater people are always drawn to at stores. Exciting, gentle, new, and serene. I wouldn’t change my name for the world.  In fact, I can’t imagine having any other name. When I was little I would pretend I was “Brittany” or “Chloe.” However that was just play. The name Sadie fits my personality and values perfectly. Like a cozy pair of slippers on a blustery, winter day.