The Desirable Wish(Inspired from Little Women) | Teen Ink

The Desirable Wish(Inspired from Little Women)

By 12250040 GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
12250040 GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey

The moon shimmered over the brook. Josephine, Margaret, Amanda, and Elizabeth strolled over the garden. The rain poured heavily, while Josephine positioned herself on a stone and imagined in solitude to craft the story she was writing. She viewed the mountains and was rendered speechless. “Would you stop writing for a minute? There is no point in absorbing yourself in the world of literature when there are millions of feminine activities to get involved in. You will get married soon. Not a single soul is interested in reading your manuscript. For once, enjoy the beauties of life. I am to chat with Marmee on the phone for a few minutes.”, remarked Margaret. Josephine did not fret about her literary decisions. Jo was a fan of several books including A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare, and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Books inspired her to never sacrifice her ambitions. She was quite queer and proud of herself. Her sisters, Meg and Amy were romantic, artistic, and beautiful, while Beth was fragile and gentle, dying of scarlet fever. Margaret and Amanda were picking flowers and apples in the orchard to adorn their bedroom door. Elizabeth sang like a bird in a choir with her mother. “I am thrilled at the thought of reading your story, Jo.”, faltered Beth. Of the four March sisters, Jo and Beth were bonded close to each other, while Meg and Amy were bosom friends. Jo opened her laptop to check her emails. She had received quite a few emails from Laurie Lawrence as well as her publisher. Jo fell asleep to a gush of wind. A few hours later, Meg pounded on the door and entered Jo’s bedroom. “It is impossible to find a boyfriend these days. I would truly appreciate some advice.”, she ejaculated. Jo’s eyes were tired and worn out. She unlocked the door and allowed Meg into the room. “There is no need for a boyfriend. You are getting married soon anyway. You are inexorable. The thought of obtaining a boyfriend gives me a shudder. I don’t enjoy your ladylike characteristics. You are already wearing several layers of lipstick. It is difficult for me to countenance your beauty and romance.”, Jo replied. She clutched her journal to her chest and fastened the doors shut. She had wished she had been able to assist her sister with her depression. Meg, the oldest of the four, always reminded Jo to enjoy life. Jo actually enjoyed every moment of her life. She was lost in thoughts, words, and her vivid imagination. She had a desirable wish to aid her sisters as much as possible while becoming a published author. She was meant to satisfy her insatiable literary ambitions. She mailed her publisher her updated manuscript and prayed for success. She was in revelation. She waited for months for an acceptance letter. A fortnight later, she received a rejection letter, much to her dismay. Reading and writing caused Jo to feel sublime. However, the rejection was one of the arduous parts of it all.

I recently read two classic novels, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. These two books were the inspiration for my short story. 

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

Your story is really beautiful...👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
Even I love little women and Anne of Green Gables and I too have read them multiple times...My favourite Character in Little women is Jo and I'm just like her...🙃🙃🙃
I felt really sad for Beth's death...It was so unexpected...😢😢😢
My favourite thing about it is the bond between the sisters...

12250040 GOLD said...
12250040 GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
I understand how parts of this story could have been confusing. This story was actually supposed to be a modern recount of Little Women. I wanted to portray the March sisters living in the twenty-first century, while still having their own personality. As for separating paragraphs, I endeavor to work on that for my future writing. Thank you so much for your feedback and criticism.

Illy said...
Illy, Richmond, Virginia

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
-Author Unknown

“An artist cannot fail. It is a success just to be one.” -Charles Cooley

I love Little Women and Anne of Green Gables and have read them multiple times. I like how you used them as inspiration. I do have a few notes: The first half of your story seems almost like a recount of the book, and the details are all right in line with the dialogue, which made it very difficult to tell the difference between what the scene was, and what was recap.
Second, I am confused of the time of the story. You started with the traditional little women, and then suddenly Jo has a laptop?
Thirdly, whenever you have a different speaker talking, you should start them in a new paragraph, and details should be separated by similarity and importance. it makes it much cleaner, easier to read and enjoy.
I like where you were going with the second part of your story, and I think if you clean it up some and expand, it'd be a wonderful modern reflection of that fantastic story.