All Summer in a Day: Margot’s Perspective | Teen Ink

All Summer in a Day: Margot’s Perspective

March 6, 2023
By jonaszhao09 BRONZE, Bayside, New York
jonaszhao09 BRONZE, Bayside, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The first thing I remember before I was locked in a closet was when everyone, including me, was watching (and listening) the impatient drumming of the rain slacken from underneath the sky hole.

“Ready?” someone in front of me asked.

“Ready,” someone else replied.

“Now?”

“Soon.”

It was the day, the day that all of us were waiting for. It was the day the sun finally came out, before the endless rain starts again. Everyone, including me, was excited. I was relieved that, at this time, I would finally go out and be able to enjoy the sun after a long time, even though the excitement will have a lifespan of an hour.

Little did I know what I was about to face.

Someone yelled in excitement. “It’s stopping, it’s stopping!”

“Yes, yes!” someone else exclaimed, flapping his arms in excitement.

Most of the kids in the cramped schoolroom were 9 years old, including me. The seven (or five, in my case) years of being in this nonstop rain was finally over. But I wasn’t as enthusiastic as the others. I was just 4 when we left. My long-term and short-term memory was fully developed at that time. It was a nice sunny day when we left our cozy, warm home in Clintonville, Ohio. It wasn’t much, but it was all we needed. But my classmates? They were two when they left. Their memories were not developed yet, which probably shows why they don’t know about the sun.

“Where’s the teacher?” one of the younger students asked, hopping from one foot to the other.

“She’ll be back,” replied yet another.

“She’d better hurry, we’ll miss it!” the young student squealed.

I smiled at their enthusiasm. The smile quickly faded when a cold, clammy hand grasped my shoulder.

“What’re you looking at?” growled an all-too-familiar voice. It was William, the class bully. He caused a lot of strife to me for the five years I was here. Even though he was my age, he was taller. And he acted like he was double his age. Most of the time, when I was at home, I kept thinking about how I would repay his awful actions. I thought of many great ideas, but never got the courage to perform them.

“Speak when you’re spoken to,” he snapped, shoving me. I almost fell over. But I did not care. I just did what I do best; I ignored him. I just thought about the talk that had been circulating through the school a year ago. The rumor was that my family and I will go back to Earth soon, but at the time, they didn’t know when. Well, the rumors are true. I will be going back to Earth soon, around January 1, 6023, back to our home, our real home, in Clintonville. I wonder if anything has changed.

“GET AWAY, SAD FACE!” William roared triumphantly, jolting me out of my daydream. “What’re you waiting for!? DON’T WAIT AROUND HERE!” Now that got my attention. He was trying to push me away from the only time I would see the sun in years! I didn’t know what to say, until I blurted it out.

“You won't see nothing!” I cried back. I clapped my hands over my mouth immediately after. Now you’ve done it, Margot, I thought fearfully. William and all the other children stared at me. Then William cackled malevolently.

“Nothing!” snickered William. “It was aaaaall a joke, isn't it? Nothing’s happening today, ISN’T IT?!” The others didn’t understand at first. Then they all started laughing like it was the best joke in the world. “Nothing! Nothing at all!” 

“Oh, but,” I stammered, “this is the day, the scientists predicted it! They said - I mean, they know-”

“ALL A JOKE!” laughed William evilly, butting in. “Hey, everyone! Let’s put her in a closet before the teacher comes!”

“No!” I exclaimed, but it was too late. They picked me up, trekked down to the storage room a few doors down, and locked me in the closet. I could hear them laughing as they went out. The storage room door shut. “HELP!” I screamed, at the top of my lungs. “HELP ME!” I rattled the door. A chain clinked. William had put that there. Still no one came to help me. Then I heard someone come walking down the hall. Whether it was the teacher, I never knew. All I knew was that I yelled, “HELP! I’M IN HERE!” 

The footsteps faltered. It’s working! I thought to myself.

Then they started again.

“NO!” I cried. “COME BACK!”  But the footsteps kept going. After a few moments, I heard a muffled “Ready, children?”

“Yes!” came the reply from the others.

“Is everyone here?” inquired the teacher.

No, I thought.

Everyone else said the opposite. William must have convinced them to tell the teacher that.

I heard the hatch to the outside world click, and swing open. Then there was the thudding of sneakers on ladders, and the hatch slammed. I listened to the footsteps stomping above me, the muffled shouts of glee, and I sat down, trying to cancel out the noise. It hurt so much. I don’t know how long I stayed in that little closet, trying to contain my tears. Then, I heard a thud. Not a big, dull, body-falls-on-the-ground thud, but a small one, like a raindrop. I barely even heard it. Then another, and another. The hour was up. The rain was back, and I heard yelping and exclaiming from above. Then the hatch clicked, the ladder click-clacked with the sound of sneakers, and again, the hatch slammed shut. The sound of wet shoes filled the hall, alongside panting and sighs of relief. I even heard someone attempt to wring his shirt to get the water off. Drops of water splashed onto the floor.

“Phew!” said the teacher. “I think we’ve had quite enough of today.”

“Will it be seven more years?” someone asked.

“Yes. Seven.”

There was a combination of groaning and whining.

“All right then, everyone, you can go wait in the recess yard until your parents show up-”

“Margot!” exclaimed a voice. It was Kitty, one of the younger students.

“What?” asked the teacher.

“She’s still in the closet where we locked her.”

“Oh, Margot.” murmured the others. I noticed that William’s gravelly voice wasn’t among them. Of course it wasn’t.

There was a sad silence.

“Well?” asked Kitty. “Go on.”

Then there were footsteps slowly advancing toward the storage room. The door opened, and a crowd slowly assembled around my closet. I kept quiet. Then there was a click of a lock opening, and the door swung open to a sea of regretful faces.

“Margot,” the teacher asked, concern streaking across her face, “are you all right?”

“Yes,” I murmured.

“Good. Now, would you like to tell me who did this to you?”

I smiled slightly. Now, at last, I will finally get my revenge. “William.” I said, pointing to him.

William was shocked. “What are you talking about?!” he yelped. “You’re lying! You must have locked yourself in there!”

“William, that isn’t possible.” I replied. “Who in their right mind closes themselves in a closet? And how does that person lock it if they are already inside?”

William’s face flushed. I had never refuted his points before. Then again, he said something that was untrue. It was mentally and literally impossible. He looked so guilty, angry, and surprised at the same time.

“Okay, thank you, Margot. Now, why don’t you get your belongings and get ready for dismissal?” The teacher said, smiling at me. “Yes, teacher.” I responded. 

Then the teacher noticed William edging away. “William, stay here,” she said sharply. William gulped.

As I filed out of the storage room, I heard the teacher say, “I’m very disappointed in you, William.”

Those might have been the best words I heard in my entire life.


The author's comments:

This short fan fiction is based off of Ray Bradbury's original short story, All Summer in a Day. I chose this to emphasize the way bullying can impact one's experience on a highly anticipated moment of their life.