Darling Juliet | Teen Ink

Darling Juliet

March 23, 2010
By firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
51 articles 6 photos 105 comments

Darling Juliet,


Congratulations! I shrieked and laughed as I read your letter. You must be elated, and so excited. I hope that soon I’ll have the pleasure of meeting the gorgeous stranger that you speak of. This Romeo sounds perfect for you! Please tell me more about him—I need to know the soul mate of my best friend through and through before I can permit you to marry him. He’d better be good enough…but with your excellent judgment, I am convinced that he is.

Not even the feud between your families can dampen so real a happiness. If there is anything that I can do to help you and your Romeo, please let me know. After all, I do owe you for introducing me to my own husband…though I wasn’t pleased with you at the time, was I? We both of us are such headstrong girls, though perhaps I am more to blame for this trait. I believe your mother always thought me to be a bad influence. You have always been the perfect image of angel. I must confess, I do enjoy seeing this rebellious side of my Juliet!

What are your plans? Will you let your parents in on this? Again, I would be more than happy to help you in any way possible. You know that my door is always open to you, even if it is a long road from your own.

Do take heed, dear. You know how your cousin Tybalt is. He’ll use anything as an excuse to start a fight. Personally, I think he’s merely miffed that you were never interested in marrying within the Capulet family. Just teasing, Jules. Sorry to insult one of your relatives—honestly, I can’t believe that you two are related.

But seriously, be careful in your scheming…such plans often go awry. Just a piece of advice, dearest: I know you are ecstatic, and completely head over heels for him, but don’t rush into things. You are only thirteen years of age, so there is ample time yet. Make sure that you are certain of his character before you marry. It would be unbearable for me to see you in a marriage in which you are not content to spend the rest of your life with your partner—though I am sure with you that will not be the case! I feel foolish giving you such warnings, Jules, when I know that you have a good head on your shoulders.

You’ll be the happiest girl in Verona—no, no—the happiest girl in the world! I’ll expect word from you directly.


Love always,


Emilia

The author's comments:
This is a fictional letter from Juliet's closest friend (Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet) to Juliet herself.