Shawn's Reply | Teen Ink

Shawn's Reply

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Topanga, you are my best friend. You're the smartest girl I know and I love you. And because I love you, I have to tell you something: you are an idiot! How can you not believe in love JUST because you're parents are getting a divorce? That makes no sense! I know that parents are supposed to be our examples, and when we see them fail at something, it seems like that thing could never be.

But look around you! Look at the Matthews: Mr. and Mrs. Matthews have been together forever. And sure, they've probably thought about getting a divorce, but they never have. They've had fights and they've disagreed on major issues, and sometimes they've probably thought that their love wasn't worth it. But they stuck to it and haven't given up.

Look at my parents. My parents...they are probably the worst example and yet BEST example of true love, anyone can show me. They have gone through and put up with so much crap, and yet they're still together. My mom, she LEFT. Do you remember that? She left and my dad chased after her. For over a year, she was always just out of his grasp, but he kept chasing. That's what love is. When you're so in-love that you'd chase the one you love to the ends of the earth and back again.

That's love. Love isn't something that's fades over time. Your parent's marriage failed and I'm sorry, but that doesn't give you any right to think you and Cory won't work out. You two have been married since you were born. You grew up together; he used to throw dirt on you because Eric convinced him girl's were icky; you were his first kiss when he was eleven; you were the only one who didn't pick on him when straightening that bushy mess he calls his hair utterly failed. He was the one who sat up all night on the porch, waiting for you to come back, when you moved away; he was the one that chased you all the way to Florida after you broke up, because he realized he loved you. That's love. All the times I've said I was in love, that wasn't love; or at least not the kind of love you two have.

You were made for each other; don't let your parents stupid mistakes and failed marriage ruin that.

I watched a Youtube video about Shawn and Topanga's relationship from "Boy Meets World". I liked how they had it be a brother sister relationship, instead of something perverted. There was a scene used that shows Shawn talking to Topanga in the school hallway and it looked as if it was Shawn talking to her about why she shouldn't let her parent's failed marriage ruin her relationship with Cory. I watched the episode later and that wasn't the case, but I wrote this about how I felt Shawn should have approached Topanga about the subject seeing as how he has always had the best view on marriage and relationships than any of the teens of the show.