The Pearl - An Alternative Ending | Teen Ink

The Pearl - An Alternative Ending

By Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other
Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else - Erna Bombeck

In three words i can sum up everything I've learned in life: it goes on -Robert Frost

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

Kino lay awake beside his sleeping wife. He remembered the events that had happened these past weeks. He remembered how he had hurt Juana and how much his family had suffered because of the pearl. But now the pearl was apart of him and Kino knew that if he threw away the pearl he would throw away apart himself. But Kino also thought about what was best, for him and his family and if throwing away the pearl was going to reunite him, his family and friends he was going to do it. Kino was torn about the evil of the pearl and the goodness of his family. Whatever he decided was going to be one of the biggest decisions of his life. Kino knew this and laid awake thinking about this until he saw the first crack of light rise over the mountains.

When Juana woke up, Kino told her`` Do you see that cave up there, go to it and take Coyotito, I will hunt down the trackers and hopefully kill them’’ Juana spoke in a shrilled voice``Kino no, no you have already killed one man Kino, I will not allow you to kill another, please Kino listen to me’’Kino considered this and replied``Juana, I have to and anything you say isn't going to change that``Juana felt her heart drop and she felt worthless and unimportant. She wandered if that was all she meant to Kino and with that in mind she said``Kino, go, do whatever you have to do to save yourself, go, and do not come back. I will take Coyotito and run, all you need to do is to make sure you do not follow me. Goodbye Kino, hopefully for ever’’Juana bursted into tears and left……for good.

Kino set off to find the trackers. He had been walking for about 10 minutes when he suddenly stopped. What had he done? What about Juana and Coyotito? Should he have gone after them? These were the questions Kino asked himself for the first time since Juana took Coyotito and left him. Kino had a thought; he thought it was the only solution to his problems. He got out his knife and stabbed himself through his heart. Kino was gone for good just like Juana had wanted. Juana had taken the pearl and destroyed it, just like what had happened to her family.

In the morning the trackers found Kino’s body. The news quickly spread to the little town where Juana and Kino had lived. This was a true tragedy, it not only happened to Juana, Kino and Coyotito but also every single person in the town. Some cried for days and others mourned in silence and others acted as if they had never know Kino and his family. Juana and Coyotito disappeared as if off the face of the earth. Some thought Juana had remarried and others thought she died of a broken heart. Every single person in the town believed that Juana was among the bravest of people. And this is what gave them the strength to move on.

Kailey4 BRONZE said...
Kailey4 BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina

"Né io pitorre" - Michelangelo

I haven't read the Pearl either, but it was still...partially...understandable;) Some constructive criticism: You used the name Kino a lot, so maybe use a pronoun or something. And I think its cool you live in Ireland;)

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

It might make some sense but I understand if you don't read it, thanks anyway!

SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

I feel like I can't read this because I haven't read "pearl"....will It make sense if I do?

Anonymousme GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so whoever believes in hill will not die but have eternal life.

Dreams are what make us who we are, a life without dreams is like a life without air.

This is very interesting. Even though I have not read The Pearl, I still felt for the characters and thought the ending was very short. I don't know what was up with the second paragraph but you might have needed to do some editing there.

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

Oh and please excuse the quotation marks, my laptop was being annoying!! 

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

**Writer's Note** This is an alternative ending to The Pearl, a novel by John Steinback. Its my version i wrote and is my alternative version of the last chapter. Please rate and comment!!