fighting the inner me | Teen Ink

fighting the inner me

April 7, 2011
By kaasha BRONZE, Roxbury Crossing, Massachusetts
kaasha BRONZE, Roxbury Crossing, Massachusetts
4 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain


The first time I laid eyes on Amanda was on February the 9th,she was sitting alone at a corner reading a book. Amanda looked calm and lonely. The way that she’s looking at the book is like that there is no one their. The bell rings and we are back to 5th period.

Maria is the most popular girl in school and by the looks of it I don’t think she likes Amanda. Amanda is pretty but not prettier than Maria. Maria is the blond, slim girl while Amanda on the other hand is skinny with brown hair. Boys would look at her when she passes by them. She seems to hate the attention and walks fast. To me it looks like that Maria has a competion now. Mr. Stu is talking about this new assignment that we are suppose to be doing but no one seems to be paying attention. Everyone is busy looking at the new cell phone that Maria got for her birthday. She was showing off how nice and expensive it was. To me the phone was the ugliest thing I ever saw. I know my phone is not tight but it looks better than hers. People are just giving her extra attention cuz if you don’t you suffer for the rest of the year. Right now, Amanda seems to be the only one looking at him, like she’s paying attention but I know girls like her don’t do the work. Amanda slowly takes out her note book and starts doing here work.

Maria is making her way through the classroom to go to the bathroom. She falls because of Amanda’s bag was in her way.” why the heck did you put your bag in my way”? Asks Maria.
“Am sorry, I really didn’t man to hurt no one” said Amanda.
“Don’t worry, you will be sorry when am done with you” said Maria.

What Amanda doesn’t know is that Maria really makes sure people do pay for what they did to her. “I make ever one suffer for what they did to me, you’re just another name on my list, one that is going to pay sooner than later” says Maria

Amanda looks like she’s scared. She looks my way but I turn away.
“Is what she’s saying true”? asks Amanda
“I don’t know but I remember last year when she kept her word.”
“What did she do, was it horrible? Asks Amanda.
“It was bad but not that bad”.
“I know girls like her; they will do anything to keep the little power they have around”.
“Last year when jack broke up with her, she told every girl in the school that he had AIDS and he is sex addict, that was the last time he has dated a girl in this school.”

We were in last period and we’re doing a group project. Both Amanda and Maria are in my group, man do I feel out numbered by these girls. Maria says “hi” to me and I play it cool and say hi back like last summer never happened.

Amanda gives Maria that girlie look ,that says I hate you and sits down.
“What are we suppose to be doing” asks Amanda
Every one shrugs and that’s when Amanda calls for help.
“This is the second thing you did to me, hope you know” says Maria
“What were you thinking calling her over her”? asks Maria.
“That we need help” says Amanda
“What if she saw me using my phone? Then what!”
Maria turns to me and says tell her the rules about the groups am in.

I started talking fast though I didn’t think what I said made sense.
“You see the thing is Amanda when you’re in a group with Maria, you never call for help if you can do the work you do it and we all get credit for it and if you don’t know what to do then we just don’t do the work”. Amanda started looking at me differently. Don’t get me wrong, I did want her as a friend but if I don’t do what Maria says my sophomore year is in jeopardy of been ruined by her. A punch of us was walking together when we saw a big circle of people. I went their and saw Maria calling Amanda out and her not saying anything. When this happened to me before I didn’t do anything like Amanda, this time I want it to be different for her. I know if I do this that I’ll loose the little respect I had but so what, be it.

“Sl*t! Trying to ruin everything for me” said Maria.
I…I didn’t do anything to you” said Amanda.
“You did when you were born, I run this school, do you understand me or do I have to get a translator for you”? said Maria.

Amanda nods and I walk in side the circle ,take Amanda by the hand and lead her away from the crowd.
“bring her back her before you suffer more than she does”.
“I already suffered enough, don’t you think”?
“You think so”?. Asks Maria
“Your just mad cuz now you have competition and apparently that’s something you suck at , isn’t it”?.
Maria is now in my face” are you talking to me or her”? asks Maria
“Is that really a question? You heard me and I was talking to you, is that hard to believe”? “Leave her alone or else ama tell everyone your little secret, you know the one you shared with that especial someone”

Now Maria’s mouth is hanging opened. The people look puzzled now. they all started turning to the person next to them and asking what I was talking about. This fells good I thought, this is how Maria fells everyday when she has someone to boss around. I made my way with Amanda through the crowd and we got on the bus to Broadway station.

The author's comments:
i wrote it after we read a story in school.