What Friends Are For | Teen Ink

What Friends Are For

By RyanTyler PLATINUM, Windsor, Connecticut
RyanTyler PLATINUM, Windsor, Connecticut

"A myth is a religion in which no one no longer believes." James Feibleman

Things weren’t as weird as Michael thought they would be after Francis came out to him. Every now and again he would notice things about Francis mannerisms that made things all to clear. And he found himself feeling stupid that he missed all of the obvious signs.

“Have you ever had a boyfriend?” Michael asked one Saturday, they were hanging out in Michael’s room coming up with new ideas for Evgard, the imaginary world they created, ever since they added that part were everything burned down, they realized that it left room to reconstruct the castles and other towns.

“Once, but we broke up a while ago.”

“Really, who was it, and why did you brake up?”

“The names not important but he didn’t like you, so I broke up with him. You can’t be with someone who doesn’t like your friends, right.” Francis looked up from the map he was working on. “You need a new character since you decided to kill yourself off.”

“I’m not sure if I want one yet.”

“B******s. It’s killing you not to have one and we can’t write in the book till you get one.” He said referring to the books where they keep the events of what happens in their story.

“I don’t have any ideas for one.”

“I do.” Francis said, he always had an idea when it came to Evgard.

“Really?”

“Yeah, Columen could have slipped something into Argents food so that he could only die of natural causes. It would be an elixir call Red Immortal and can only be made from the Red and White War Lilly.”

“Wow.” Michael was taken aback a bit by how much thought Francis had already put into it. “That’s pretty good.”

“It’s bloody brilliant.” Francis corrected with a crocket smile. “You have a good character Michael, keep him.”

Michael sighed thinking of how the story would play out. Argent, his character, would probably meet up with Columen, Francis’s character, and then… waaaait a minute. “Why does your character have a thing for my character?”

Francis shrugged, “I was trying to brace you for everything before I told you.”

“Do your parents know that you’re…?”

“No.” Francis cut him off before he could say the word.

“Your siblings?”

“No, just you.” He gave Michael a smirk. “It’s an unspoken rule that you tell your friends before family.”

“Are you planning to?”

“Today actually, when I get home my dad should be there so…now the best time if any.”

“I’m sure you’re going to be…”

“Don’t worry about it Michael.”

~.~.~.~.~

Francis left two hours ago after his mom called and told him he had to get over for dinner and Michael couldn’t help but worry. What if something to happen. Though a small voice in his head kept telling him everything was going to be okay.

Michael and his mom were sitting down at dinner when the bell rang. “I’ll get it.” Michael said getting up. “Hell…o,” he opened the door to find Francis standing at his door step with an over night bag. But that’s not what caught him off guard; it was the black eye and the bruise on Francis’s face.

“Do you mind if I crash here for awhile.”

“Y-yeah, come in. Let me go tell my mom.” He went back into the kitchen, “Mom, Francis is here.”

“Oh, she was putting her dishes in the sink, “I thought he just left?”

“I think something happened to him.” He lowered his voice knowing that Francis wouldn’t want to hear them talking about him.

“What do you mean?”

“His face is pretty beat up.”

His mom sighed going into the living room to see for herself. “Hey Francis,” she kept a smile on her face trying not to look worried.

“Hi Ms. Thompson,” his smiled wavered as he realized that it hurt to move his face.

“What happened,” she asked, then turning to Michael, “Go get an ice pack.”

“My folks kicked me out.”

“What happened?” she was obviously panicking.

“I really rather not talk about it.” Francis said. “Is it okay if I stay here for a bit?”

“Of course,” by now Michael had come back with the ice pack and his mom was gingerly pressing it to Francis eye. “We can put a spare mattress in Michael’s room.”

“I could just sleep on the couch …”

“No trust me you won’t get a wink sleep on that thing.”

“Alright, if it’s okay with Michael.”

“Yeah it’s fine.” Michael said.

“Then it’s settled.” Mom smiled.

Thirty minutes or so later the boys where up in Michael room about to go to bed. “What happened?” Michael finally asked. He wanted to know from the beginning but didn’t want to ask in front of his mom and out Francis.

“Well since I’m obviously beaten up and kicked out of the house, what do you think happened?” Francis snapped, an angry yet sad look in his eye.

“I’m sorry I…”

“Don’t, I shouldn’t of snapped at you. I’m just…Oh god.” He mumbled earnestly running his hands through his hair. “I just, really upset right now.”

“I get it.”

“No you don’t.” Francis sighed flopping back on the mattress that was set up for him. “I told them, and my dad freaked out. He said that no son of his was going to be a f**. And I tried to tell him, that it wasn’t a choice. And he hit me. I don’t know for how long but he kept saying things like that he was going to, beat the gay out of me, and that, no son of his was going to be a homo. I think my mom was crying, I’m not sure, but when he finally did stop, I told him that I couldn’t change, no matter how much I wanted to, and he kicked me out.”

“Where were your siblings?”

“We were having a family meeting and at the end my mom asked if someone had something they would like to add, and I told them. My dad told the younger ones to leave.”

“Are you going to be okay?”

“Eventually, thanks for letting me stay.”

“That’s what friends are for.”

AN: A special thanks to anyone who made it this far. And please leave a review and tell me what you think.

This is a fanfiction of the book "the Traitor Games". You should read it it's really good. Anyways... this is a bit of a spoiler