Effie's Reaping | Teen Ink

Effie's Reaping

By GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other

In my dream, I am standing in a crowd of twelve to eighteen year olds. Their faces are tight—whether with fear or anticipation, I can’t tell. A tall stranger in more colorful clothes than I ever imagined possible smiles widely “Now…the female tribute of District 2 is—“
“Euphemia” My mother’s voice, creased with worry, jolts me from my dreams. She hasn’t used my real name in ages—everyone in my family just calls me Effie and I like it that way. When my mother named me, she gave me an elegant name meaning “All Praised” but the name turned out to be a horrible mistake. I am pretty famous in my District for causing trouble. But today, I don’t feel the fire of rebellion burning in me, only the metallic, waspy wings of anxiety. Three months ago, I turned 12, and for the first time in my life, my family didn’t celebrate. My mother still baked a cake and blew up balloons, but there was a terrible air of sorrow that day that invaded everything. My parents knew this day might come. They knew they might lose me.
I get up and put on my best clothes, which is a simple pink jumper. Often, I’ve longed for finer clothes. Once, I told my best friend Enobaria that I wished we lived in District 8, where they make beautiful garments. But Enobaria said that our District is best because we make weapons, and weapons keep the Districts peaceful.
The Reaping will happen at ten in the morning, so I have a little time. I scarf down breakfast, and go to see Enobaria. She’s a year older than me, but her birthday was after the Reaping, so this will be her first time too.
I find Enobaria sitting in her front yard, her eyes closed. Enobaria is a dreamer. She loves to make up stories about horses that can fly and lands where districts don’t exist. Best of all, she likes to imagine what will happen when she grows up. Enobaria has already decided that she will marry Victor from the special school she goes to to learn to be a Carrer, and she will have one girl whom she will name Clove.
I interrupt her day dreams, shaking her a little “Enobaria, Enobaria!”
“Are you nervous?” she asks me suddenly, turning to me.
“No. This is what I’m trained for.” She smiles confidently. “If they don’t pick me this time, I’ll volunteer next time.”
“Yes.” What else is there to say?
We sit quietly in the front yard collecting grass stains until its time to go.
----
The Reaping is eerily like my dream. There are PeaceKeepers everywhere. Someone takes my blood, and then I’m in a huge auditorium filled with children. In the middle is a stage. I see my parents on the outside of the crowd, with other worried mothers and fathers, partitioned off from their children by a thick velvet rope. I give them a confident smile, but inside I feel my heart shrinking with fear.
What if they pick me? I don’t have any skills! Unlike Enobaria, I couldn’t hold my own in the Arena. Every year, my family and I watch the Hunger Games, and whenever I watch them, all I can think is I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t kill someone if I tried, but even if I could, I’m not sure I would want to.
A tall woman in bright orange and green traipses up to the stage. “Welcome, Welcome, Welcome” she trills “To the District 2 Reaping! I know you are all very excited, so let’s get right to it…”
Her fingers dangle over a large glass bowl full of names.
She picks one up and licks her lips “The male tribute of District Two is… Eric Telee.”
A stalky boy, obviously a Career, walks easily up to the stage. He waves at the crowd and even smiles.
The woman goes to another large bowl. “And the female tribute is…” she picks up a piece of paper, and pauses, letting the anticipation grow.
“The Female Tribute for District Two is Euphemia Trinket.”
I gasp, and my heart begins to beat a drumroll inside my head.
The crowd around me parts, and I feel my arms being held strongly by two Peace Keepers. They are propelling me to the stage…
And then I hear her voice, my best friend’s voice, “Wait! I volunteer!”
The PeaceKeepers pause hesitantly, and the lady on the stage clears her throat “You propose to volunteer for Miss Trinket? Very, well, dear, come along.”
I blink back tears as I watch Enobaria take the stage. I am so relieved, but at the same time, I am losing my best friend.
---
Later that day, I go to say goodbye to Enobaria. I see her family leave the room as I come in.
“Enobaria!” I gasp “Thank you, oh thank you!”
Enobaria looks at me calmly “You’re welcome. It’s my destiny, Effie.”
“You’ll win” I assure her uncertainly “You’re the best.”
“You know I am.” She says. “I was trained for this.”
A PeaceKeeper opens the door “Time’s up. You’ll have to go.”
“Well good luck.” I say, blinking back tears. I can’t believe how calm she is. “At least you get to go to the Capitol. I’ve always wanted to go there.”
Enobaria nods. “Who knows” she says “Maybe someday you will.”

GreyGirl ELITE said...
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
Thanks very much. I love Effie!

vegetariangirl, Hamilton, Ohio

Being normal is boring - Marilyn Monroe
You only live once -?
A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit -Richard Bach

I love your story!!!

GreyGirl ELITE said...
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
That's in the works! Keep checking back and it should be up hopefully soon :) Glad you liked it :)

PotterWhoLocked GOLD, Montclair, Virginia

“Wednesdays are limbo days. Monday is the beginning of the week, Tuesday is getting used to it, Thursday is looking forward to Friday and Friday is getting ready for the weekend. Wednesdays aren’t really anything in particular. They’re just there.”

Wow, this is pretty good! I never really thought about Effie's past before. Do you think you could do another one about what compelled Effie to become an Escort?