Fandom Mash-Up | Teen Ink

Fandom Mash-Up

May 19, 2014
By sophiacat BRONZE, Elgin, Illinois
sophiacat BRONZE, Elgin, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Fandom mash up
It was September third at 9:00 in the morning and I find
Myself slipping out the door of my tiny apartment. Today is a big day I thought to myself, as I stared at my maroon jeans and black dr. martens. I stared down at the green matted down shag carpeting that I find myself looking at a lot lately. When I looked up: apartment #32 just ten away from mine. I dug into the pocket of my leather jacket and pulled out a key, it was scratched and faded and the cheap gold paint was almost gone, but it worked.

I slid it into the key hole and saw a man still lying in bed. I slipped into the apartment that was slightly bigger than mine and draped my jacket on a chair to my right than after slipping off my shoes I crept over to the bed trying not to disturb his last moments of sleep the I reached down grabbed his shoulder and started to shake him awake “Tobias, Tobias” I said “time to get up” a grown escaped his mouth as he started to stretch. “Christina why so early?” he moaned “Common you got to get ready” I said “for what” he croaked “it’s a surprise” I admitted “but trust me” “okay” he said. As he stood the rest of the way up from bed I pushed him towards the bathroom, “clean up” I said “and be quick”. As he shuffled toured the bathroom I took a seat on his gray couch.

He did not have much furniture and did not like to splurge for anything he did not think he needed. “Once abnegation always abnegation” I thought. I heard the shower turn on and off in a matter of minutes and a shaver turn on and off then he must have slipped on some clothes and walked out because he was out of the bathroom so fast it was astonishing. He was dressed in a black shirt with his tattoo peeking out the top and jeans with navy blue converse (I bought him those, I’m trying to get him out of the whole black thing)
“its pretty cold” I told him we both slipped on jackets and headed out of his apartment. We headed down the stairs and the walked out into the cold New York fall air, the wind whipped at you like a smack in the face. We walked a few blocked huddling close to building to escape the raging wind. Tobias finally said “let’s stop here and get something warm to drink” I thankfully shuffled in the door and ordered a cup of coffee and so did he.

We got our to-go cups and went outside again and I peeked at a slip of paper with the address on it and made sure we were going the right way, we were. We walked a little bit farther too where the hustle and bustle of the city cut off abruptly and a nice subdivision started. We walked to a brick house with a matching address with my paper and I led Tobias up the walk way. “Now, will you tell me where we are going?” asked Tobias “nope” I replied as I strode up to the door and knocked three times. We waited there at the door for 2 minutes when the door flew open and a warm gust of air spilled over me. A very homey smell poured out of the house that filled my nostrils and made me smile. I snapped out of it when a woman pregnant and in her 20s embraced me in a hug and then extended me and said “Christina it’s so good to see you again!” she glanced at Tobias and said to me “so this is the young man who you told me about” “yes” I replied. She shook hands with Tobias and introduces herself, “hello I’m Hermione” “hi, I’m Tobias” he replied. She turned back to me and said “so have you told him why you are here?” “Nope, I did not know how to say it” I responded. “Well then she said let’s get you two inside then I will enlighten you Tobias”.
she opened the door and the wonderful sensations crept over me once again. It was a modern but rustic house with a stair case to the front of you and a dining room to your left and a seating area with a comfy looking couch and some chairs. She led us past a bathroom, office space, and a living room before arriving in a kitchen with an island in the middle and bar stools surrounding it. We sat in the stools while she reached into the refrigerator and pulled out an already pored glass of orange juice, “cravings” she explained.

Then she led us to the living room area where we all took a seat then she spoke up “Tobias, you are here today because I like helping people in hard times of their lives. And that is the only reason why” she continued “I want you to feel open here and not feel like you are being judged or that this is some kind of counseling” “well” he said “then what is this place?” “this is a place where we can talk about what happened to us and get it out in the open” I said “I thought it would help” turning to me with a face of pure disgust “what could this stranger” gesturing towered Hermione “possibly help us thought what happened?” Hermione got up from her seat and gently touched Tobias on the shoulder “we may have a lot more in common than you might think” “alright” he said his tone softer but not completely calm “’what’s your story?” Hermione sat back in her seat and called out “Harry, Ron, get in here!” two men came shuffling in one with red hair that sat down right next to Hermione and the other man had messy black hair that just covered a scar on his forehead. He sat right next to Tobias; Tobias stiffened when their shoulders touched.

Then Hermione started telling us her story: she, Harry, and Ron had all been best friends in their school. They went to a school located in London called Hogwarts, it’s like a boarding school and they were all in the same group: gryphendor. They went on many adventures through the years (which she did not elaborate on) and lost many people that they were close to. After all that they decided to move to NYC, After she was done she said “we really should take it slow and maybe next time you come over we can listen to what Christina has to say” she glanced over at me with a questioning look and I returned it with a nod “then” she continued “when Tobias is ready we can listen to him” Tobias looked slightly relaxed and responded with a small nod. “Well with all this serious talk why don’t we get to know each other a bit” Hermione said “I’ll make you two some fresh coffee and throw away your old cups” she took our now cold coffee cups and walked into the kitchen, and started to brew a new pot.

Harry and Ron who had added a few words here and there to Hermione’s story but other than they had not spoken much. Ron explained that he was Hermione’s husband (which I could have guessed) and that they had about 2 months until their first born child would be arrive. Harry introduced himself again and told us that he was married to Ginny, Ron’s sister. Harry already had a child named James Sirius potter, and him and Ginny and James lived in the next house over. I wondered what it would be like to be in love, but forced the thought out of my mind. That’s when Hermione walked in with two freshly brewed cups of coffee just the way we liked them; Tobias’ black and mine with just enough cream. “How did you know?” I asked, she just shrugged her shoulders “lucky guess…Well” she said “if you won’t mind Christina come with me and help me set up the nursery, the boys have no sense of style” we both chuckled and she led me down the hall and into the sweetest little nursery I have ever laid eyes on, it looked like a room from a magazine, but then again all of their house did.

While I was helping her I heard some cheers from the living room and she explained that the boys where watching a game called football. When I looked utterly confused she said “it’s new to us also, it’s a truly barbaric sport” we stayed for about another hour then when Hermione announced she was going to take a nap and we were welcome over anytime, I made my way to the living room and saw Tobias looking happier than eve. He was talking and laughing with Ron and Harry. He had a real smile on his faced and looked truly relaxed. “Maybe I was right about this whole thing” I thought to myself.

I felt bad but we really needed to get home and have dinner and also let Hermione rest. I pulled Tobias away from his fun and gave Harry and Ron one last goodbye as we headed out the door. On the walk home we stopped at a sub sandwich shop and ate there. Tobias was filled with things to say about Harry, Ron, football and many other things I listened intently happy to have him happier than before well actually scratch that happier than I have ever seen him. We arrived at our apartment building and he was still chattering away about what Harry or Ron said about this or that I was about to say goodnight and head my separate way but Tobias touched my shoulder lightly and said “Cristiana I can’t thank you enough for doing this for me” “it’s no problem” I said “I could just tell you needed it” and with that we both turned in opposite directions and headed towards our own apartments.

A week later we headed back to Hermione’s place to talk some more are plus they invited us over for dinner and a movie. We arrived at 5:30 on the dot because Tobias was in such a hurry to get over we almost jogged all the way there. When we got there we went right to the living room and had some small talk then I decided to tell them what I had to say.

I told them about being from Chicago and born into a group called candor where honesty is the only policy. I talked about when you turn 16 you pick out of 4 groups which one you want to choose to live in for the rest of your life. “I chose dauntless, that category focuses on physical strength and bravery. They put you through tests that strain your body and mind. As these tests go on they slowly eliminate people until they are left with the last few people. A girl I got very close with during the tests was Tris she was my best friend. We both made it through the process and became an official part of the dauntless faction” “what happens if you don’t make it?” Hermione asked looking sincerely concerned, that’s when Tobias jumped in and said “if you don’t make it in you are left with no faction, they are known as the factionless. They have no homes, Live on the streets, and are basically beggars.” I continued telling about how the government wanted to capture a certain group of people but then a whole revolution started up and we went to a place outside the city and stop the government from resetting everybody’s memory. My friend Tris sacrificed herself for her brother who deserved that death and...” I started to tear up “well, I decided that we had to move somewhere to get away from all the losses me and Tobias suffered in Chicago and move somewhere faraway” I continued “so this is our 1st month here in the big apple”

I looked around, Tobias was looking at his feet, Ron was listening intently and Hermione was staring at me with a sad expression and a tear running down her cheek. I sighed and slumped onto the couch it felt great to get everything that happened out into the open.

After a minute or two of silence Ron broke it and said “well the movie starts at 5 and it’s already...” he checked his watch “whoa already 5:30, we better get going if we want good seats”. We had a great time at the movie and then we had an amazing dinner and desert at Morton’s steak house.

Tobias and I went home in a cab and barely said anything to each other because we were both so exhausted. We went to our different rooms and I had a great night’s sleep. I had a busy but productive and great week and I could tell that Tobias was itching to go back to Hermione’s. Because just like last week he was telling me to hurry up, and go faster so we would not be late.

Once we got there Tobias did not wasted time telling his story. He told about how he grew up with an abusive father, how to get away from him he switched to dauntless at 16 years of age. He told how he was the best in the whole group and he came out on top he trained a new group that Christina and Tris wherein also he and Tris got very close and he Loved her and when she died he was crushed and we was reluctant to leave Chicago but he is glad to get away from where everything happened. When he was done he looked like he was glowing. “I knew this would help” I whispered to him he nodded with a grateful look.

By the next month Hermione was almost ready to have her baby, we had met Harry’s wife and I was helping Hermione get ready for her baby and Tobias was hanging with Harry and Ron regularly. It all worked, like I knew it would.


The author's comments:
This is a mash up between two of my favorite fictional series. WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT READ OR FINISHED READING THR HARRY POTTER OR DIVRGENT SERIES. Hope you like it(: