Cytus II- Disaster | Teen Ink

Cytus II- Disaster

By Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California
Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

"It's amazing, isn't it?" the girl says, leaning on her lover.

"What is?"

"I'm dying and I can't even feel it." The girl sits up straight and flexes her fingers, one by one, in front of her face. "I can still... do everything."

"Of course you can," the dark haired boy replies, kissing her forehead softly. "And so can I."

"How long do we have, again?"

"One month."

~~~

"Isn't there anything you can do?" The girl's mother clutches her daughter's fingers. "Oh, Vanessa..."

"Ma'am, you are dying as well," the doctor reminds her. "Please do not strain yourself."

"Why would it matter?!" The woman stands up in hysterics. "She's dying! My baby girl!"

The doctor presses his lips together coldly. "Ma'am, there is nothing we can do."

"It's okay, Mom," Vanessa reminds her mother. "As long as I get to live my life well for the last month I have."

"I didn't think you'd die at seventeen," her mother wails. Vanessa holds her mother close and leans on her, green eyes sparkling ever-so-slightly with the prick of tears.

Quietly, the doctor exits the room.

~~~

"You're telling me you've been researching this for five months and you have what- nothing?!" The scientist slams his fist onto the table. "People are dying, Pulseva! Every day!"

"Well, there's nothing to be found! The virus is spreading, Ishihara. It's deadly contagious, there's no cure, and civilization is dropping." Pulseva stands up from her chair, letting it spin away behind her and clang against the window. "All we can do is let them die."

"There must be something," Ishihara says. "A way to let them live..." He steeples his hands in thought.

"Pulseva."

"Sir?"

"Tell me about Ververg. Is she ready for human souls?"

Pulseva gapes at him. "Ishihara, you're a genius."

Ishihara smiles a slightly crazy smile. "I know I am."

~~~

"Are you sure about this, Vanessa?" The dark haired boy holds his papers close to his chest. It's a bit too late to ask, of course, seeing as Vanessa is already in the hospital bed, blonde hair shaven clean. "You don't have to-"

"I want to," Vanessa insists. Then she smiles sadly. "You know, you didn't tell me this was the big project you were working on."

"I didn't expect to operate on you," the boy replies, round face crumpling in sadness.

"You aren't even the one operating, silly," Vanessa says with a grin. "You're just the memory transferrer or however it's called."

"Memory and Emotions Coding Specialist," the boy says, biting his lip.

"You know it's too cute when you do that," Vanessa laughs, and the boy smiles.

Suddenly, Pulseva enters. "We're ready to do this. If you're backing out, do it now." She hands a clipboard to Vanessa. "Sign here if you aren't."

The page is a mix of rights and legal terms, confusing to anyone but Vanessa. She looks it over quickly, then lifts her gaze to the boy's. "I'm doing this for you," she says as she signs her life into Ververg.

"Thank you," Pulseva says in a clipped tone, lifting the clipboard from Vanessa's hands. She turns to the dark-haired boy, who looks like he's holding back tears. "Now, Sand, get to your post."

"R-right!" Sand says, swiping at his eyes and sitting down at his computer. "Vanessa-"

"We're going to give you sedatives." Pulseva slowly picks up a syringe from the table beside Vanessa's cot and touches it to the girl's arm.

"Wait!" Vanessa says, stopping Pulseva's hand and turning to Sand. "I love you, okay? Always remember that."

"I love you, too," he says quietly.

Pulseva rolls her eyes and inserts the needle into Vanessa's arm. Vanessa's eyes slowly close as she descends into and is saved from disaster.

The second part of my Cytus fanfiction. Please don't read this if you have not read Cytus I- The Operators. However, you do not have to play the game to read either of these.

Songs I listened to while writing-

Sacred: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkHvPA1duc4

Libera Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHjhMB8ZSbA

Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment, whether you enjoyed my piece or not. 

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you, and I agree that a lot of my writing is dialogue and very little is sensory detail.

AvengeMyBrokenSong GOLD, WHOOP, New York

"It takes more strength to cry at mid-defeat."
-Susan Boyle
"The closer you get to the light, the bigger your shadow becomes."
-Kingdom Hearts

Good writing: the only suggestion I would make here is make sure that the entire things isn't just dialogue: you should add a bit more description of the scene, etc. Good start.

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Yes, that's a very good point. I'm going to try to answer as many questions as possible.

EttieGH GOLD said...
EttieGH GOLD, Mbabane, Other
The story is great. Id just suggest at this point that you turn these into longer stories. That way more detail can be added in. For instance, what's the virus? How long has it been killing people? How futuristic is the setting of the story?

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Did I? I do overuse the phrase. It's not nitpicking at all.

WOWriting SILVER, Broadstairs, Other
I love this :) sooo tense. Like the depth in pulseva's character being added. The only thing that annoyed me was u used dark-haired again but thats just nit-picking.

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

If by near future you mean in a few days, there certainly will be. I'm working on chapter IV (The Silence) right now.

Sharkbait SILVER, Grant Park, Illinois

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
-Anne Frank

This was a great story! (hopefully there will be more in the near future... nudge nudge... I can't wait!)

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you, I was slightly melodramatic while writing ;-; You'll have to satisfy yourself with one more chapter for now, though, I'm sorry.

Crystallite BRONZE, Santa Elena, Other
oh...my...gosh...I want to read more!!! this was just so good! What a touching story and suspenseful at the same time!this was just so amazing. You are a very good writer! I don't know how you do it. I really want to read more and find out what happens next though