Fruit | Teen Ink

Fruit

February 9, 2015
By Anonymous

"Hey Danna, un!"


Deidara greeted the redhead, bouncing into the seat next to him at lunch.  The usual prattle filled the cafeteria, and Deidara was the last to arrive.


They all sat at a grey rectangular table. Pein and Konan were next to each other at the head of the table, beside them was Zetsu and Tobi, and next to them was Itachi and Kisame. At the other head of the table was Hidan and Kakuzu, and lastly, by themselves on one bench, was Sasori and Deidara. Together, they were a pretty well-known group, dubbing themselves as the ‘Akatsuki’.


  Sasori looked up after being greeted, catching Deidara’s eye; his way of saying 'Hello'. It was unlikely for him to actually verbally respond when spoken to. It was simply how he was.  Once the blond pyromaniac was seated, he started to open his lunch, Sasori following his lead.  Although he was always the first one there, he never ate until Deidara arrived. Everyone noticed, but when someone even attempted to ask, he'd shoot them a death glare.


At a steady pace, both took out their food and drink. Everyone else watched in half amazement, half concern. They practically mirrored each other’s movement.


They opened the bag,


Took out the fruit,


The drink,


The sandwich,


The sweet,


And the napkin.


All perfectly in step with each other. It shouldn’t have been surprising since they did the same thing every day.


And every day, Sasori brought the same fruit, and so did Deidara.

 


Deidara brought one fiery red apple, and Sasori, a gorgeous, ripe banana. Always, ever since the eighth grade. And mind you, they were juniors.


And of course, as if they were programmed, they both reached out for their fruit. Sasori unpeeled his, and Deidara removed the sticker. Before they took a bite though, Hidan and Konan finally cracked.


"Hey, blondie!"


"Sasori!" Konan said in a commanding voice, demanding Sasori look at her.


"What, un?" Deidara growled, Sasori not answering, but he knew she understood she got his attention.


"Why do you always bring the same fruit?" Konan said, while Hidan said something similar, only more vulgar.


"Seriously, you've done it for 4 years."


Deidara and Sasori turned their heads to look at each other, still holding their fruit.


They looked back at their askers, shrugged, took a bite, and said,


"It reminds me of his hair."


All. In. Sync.


The author's comments:

This is a story about two best friends, and its from one of my favorite shows, Naruto.