She broke The Family | Teen Ink

She broke The Family

By Riley_Rose SILVER, Danboro, Pennsylvania
Riley_Rose SILVER, Danboro, Pennsylvania

"Love is when you can get that feeling for someone, and you've never had it before- butterflies in your stomach, you feel super comfortable around that person."- Niall Horan

There was a sight of the past. I lay here fully clothed and just laying on my bed without a care in the world. My phone laying on my chest with the music on full blast. The TV on mute but yet a random movie flashes across the screen. The dog laying on the floor and looking up at me to see if I'm ok yet inside I'm broken. I start to slowly sit up and hold my head in my hands for the pounding that didn't seem to stop. The dog got up and started to wag her tail like she was actually happy that I'm awake and some what ok. I walk over to the desk and turn on the lamp for mild light. I look in the mirror at the thing looking back at me for that is not me. That is the boy who is happy, taking pictures of himself in the mirror and playing with the dog he begged for when he was 8 years old. Instead he is seeing a boy who's heart has been broken in a thousand pieces then the girl he thought he loved took each piece and hid them away from him. He is looking at the boy with bloodshot eyes for yet he isn't high or anything. They are red from all the crying that he has been doing. He cheeks flushed red and tear stained. His fist bloody and might be broken. His shirt and jean ripped and a black eye. He does not remember clearly what happened but he remembers one thing about the night he broke. He remembers walking his dog that he loved so much. He walked past his girlfriends house and there in the window was another man with her. Not her father or anyone. It was obvious to him that it was the quarterback. He had to think quick and that left him running down the street. The dog following behind him barking at him to stop running. Later he was at his friends house where he was jumped. But that ended short for his dog scared them off just because she was a Saint Bernard. They left him in a mess. He had to think before they came back for him. He reached in his pocket and pulled out his phone and called the one person he knew that would drop anything he is doing for him. He called his dad. The one person in this world that would drop anything for him no matter the time.
"Dad.... can you please come get me and the dog?"
"Hunter what's wrong. You just left."
"I know but I'm laying on the ground and bloody and my shirt and jeans are ripped…"
"Stay where you are"

He didn't need the location Hunter was at because he has a tracker on the dog and where ever the dog was hunter was. His dads old red ford pick up truck showed up 10 minutes later. Hunter and his dog were put in his dads truck and driven home. With a hand placed on his stomach Hunter left the car and walked towards his house. He can feel his dads stare as he wobbled towards the door. Hunter managed to get up the stairs and in his room. The dog quickly following him as he enters his room. The dog waits until she is given the command to be on the bed with his owner. Looking for his earbuds Hunter motions to the dog that she can jump on the bed. Hunter looked at the dog and smiled and he sat down next to her. She got happy that her owner is ok and laid her head in his lap.
"Thank you for being with me today" Hunter said as he petted the dogs head. Hunter laid down with the dog next to him and his phones music on full blast. The stars on his ceiling that he put their as a little kid tend to still glow. He thought about the memories that each of those stars have seen. The memories that each star holds within. Then he looks towards the closet. Where he first saw her. The mini window that he saw her in his backyard getting her dog. From there on he noticed her more and more. For some reason he fell in love with a girl who can't be his. Pounding on the door made Hunter and his dog sit up. He paused the music and walked towards the door with his head hanging low fog he felt like he failed at war.

"I thought you would like some dinner?" His dad spoke but Hunter kept his head hanging low to the ground. His dog at his feet.

"Well then are you hungry?" His father spoke to his dog and she ran out the room she was stuck in to get her bone. His father looked into Hunters eyes as he walked out of his room and down the stairs. His father feared he was not trying to be the same teen he was. He feared that his son would just spend his days crying in his room and not eating for days. He feared all of this.

"Dad are you coming?" Hunter spoke at the bottom of the stairs. His father flashed a smile and walked down the stairs that were between him and his son.

"I can tell something is wrong Hunter.. what is it?" His father spoke as he held his sons face in his hands.

"I think I changed since Mom left" it was true. Hunters mother walked out on him and his father when he was just 5. That night was not like it should have been. It was their anniversary. 15 years together. Everything was set up, lights, candles, cake, dinner and music that she liked. Banging came from the bed room. Hunters father walked slowly up the stairs as he looked at each piece of clothing that was in the hallway. Heart racing fast and sweat dripping from his forehead. He reached the door where the banging came from. The door was pushed open and their they were. Covered in blankets and sweat.

"Luke this isn't what you think it is!" She tried to explain. Instead he slammed the door shut and grabbed the 5 year old Hunter who was sleeping. He got downstairs where he grabbed his phone, car keys and Hunters dog Peyton.

"Luke you can not just leave like this!" Luke ignored her screams and cries. Instead he slammed the front door close and walked to the unlocked car. He first placed Hunter in his car seat than he got the dog to jump in the old ford pick up truck.

He heard the door open and close and his wife came out.
"You can't take him away from me!"
"Watch me" Luke said as he put a hand on her chest to hold her back from getting to Hunter.
"Luke you can't do this. He needs me"
"Since when has he needed you. You haven't been there for him from the day he was born. You wanted to give him up." Luke's eyes grew darker as he said this.
"Save it Arianna, I'm done. I'm taking Hunter and Peyton."
Luke climbed in his truck and started to drive off. The last thing he noticed of her was the little black dress she wore, the pink robe, the red lipstick faded from her lips, the green eyes that he thought held the world were covered in tears. To make matters worse, the gods must have seen what happened and they started to cry along. Then he walked out, that's when he noticed it was Ashton. Luke was heart broken from what he saw, the guy he thought was his best friend left him and made his wife cheat on him when he knew he had a family. Luke found himself driving. The street lights illuminated the inside of the car as he drove by them. He stopped at the light that flashed the color red. He looked behind him and the sight he can't forget. Hunter was asleep in his car seat with tiny Peyton cuddled up into a ball on his lap asleep. Luke looked at his phone and saw the missed calls but didn't return them. But he called someone not knowing if they would pick up.
"Luke… it's 2 am dear." His mothers voice ran through the speaker.
"I know but mom I need to let you know that me, Hunter and Peyton are coming over."
"What about Arianna?"
"She cheated on me Mom" at this point Hunter started to wake up and Luke was crying.
"Listen come here when you can. Stay as long as you want."
"Thank you Mom"
He hung up the phone with her. He looked back at the mini Luke in the back seat. By the time Luke got to Nebraska he would have a hungry and confused child.

*10:12 am*
Hunter is awake and so is Peyton. Luke is driving still as he pulls into a pet shop. He parks the car as gets hunter out of his seat and the dog out of the car. He holds Hunters hand and Peyton in the other arm.
"Okay Hunt, we need to get stuff from Peyton. You want to pick it out?"
Hunter and Luke and Peyton walk out of the pet shop with a collar, dog tag, bowls, toys and food for her.
"Hunter do you want to go to the toy store?"
Knowing the child's reaction Luke pulled in the store parking lot and left the windows open a crack for the dog. Hunter saw a teddy bear sitting on the shelf.
"Daddy I like that one." Hunter said as he pointed to the bear. Luke smiled down at his young son and reached for the bear. He looked at the bear and kneeled down to his sons height.
"Here Hunt" Luke said as he handed him the bear. They walked to the register to pay for the bear. Once they were in the car they both started to get hungry and went to McDonald's. Luke's phone once again was getting a call. He answered the call only to hear a crying Arianna on the other line.
"Luke listen. You can't do this, he's my child to."
Luke rubbed his face with his hands.
"Arianna you are an unfit mother. You spend your nights getting either drunk or high. I don't need Hunter growing up with a mother who does this kind of stuff now I have to leave. You will be getting divorce papers and court orders for the legal guardianship of Hunter. See you when we are in court." With that said Luke hung up the phone and looked at the young boy sitting across from him.

*Lukes POV*

I watched him. I started to see my features being stuck on him. I just cant do that to him. When I met Arianna she was a sweet girl from Ireland, not even a care in the world.

*2 weeks later*
I bounce my leg up and down as my hands are folded. Just sitting in this office is really starting to bother me.
"Mr. Hemmings?"
I heard my name and I shot up fast. I walked towards the man and held my hand out for him to shake and to be honest it feels weird not wearing my wedding ring anymore.
"Hi Mr. Hemmings, I am the lawyer for your cause and my name is Mr. Hood. Please take a sit. Listen I know this might be tuff for you and this is hard. Are you sure you want to go through with this?" He asked me. Without thinking I shook my head yes.
"Now. This might raise questions from you but we just need to check on your son since your soon-to be ex wife was a drug and alcohol abuser." I shook my head yes and left the room to grab Hunter who was playing with his toys by his grandmother.
"Hi hunter. I need you to do me a big favor."
Hunter stood proud and puffed out his chest.
"Ok then. Can you tell me about your mom?"
Hunter spoke and spoke but something made my eyes and Mr. Hoods eyes grow large in size.
"So then uncle Ashton came over. Daddy wasn't home at the time and I was downstairs playing. Mommy and uncle went upstairs and I didn't see them for a while."
The lawyer looked at me and I looked at him.
"Hunter you can go back to playing now."
"You don't think she was cheating do you?"
The lawyer stood up.
"There is a great chance. I can have a doctor check everything out and see if they were you know. But if she is cheating, not only can you go for child endangerment but child abuse. You don't know how many hours Hunter was left alone. Plus that can be pinned on both her and Ashton." He put a stack of papers in front of me. Which each one of them I signed. Since Hunter was in school back in Ohio, we lived there. 5 minutes away from Arianna and Ashton. Once we were back at home I watched dinner as Hunter was playing. I heard the door bell go off.
"Stay here Hunter!" I yelled to the child on the floor. I opened the door and there stood Arianna.
"What do you want Arianna?" I mentally screamed at her.
"What do you think I want. I want my son." She tried to walk in the house but my hand held her back.
"What the f Luke. Let me see my son!!" She screamed at me while Hunter ran and hid in the hallway under the stair case is. The secret door was there and Hunter was thought to do that. I threw her back and she almost fell but she didn't.
"See look what you did Luke! You made my own child fear me." Knowing that there was a phone in the room Hunter was hiding in and an address with a phone number on it. He will call the police if I say a word.
"Listen I did not make him do this. He fears you because of what you did to him."
"Shut up" She pushed past me and screamed for Hunter. But at that moment I shouted the magic word to make Hunter call the police.
"Hunter! Red!" Arianna stood back and looked at me.
"What the hell is that mean?" She slurred on her words. I could tell she was drunk. I walked over to the room under the stairs where Hunter was hiding, I stood in front of. Arianna must have noticed what I was doing so she stood in front of me.
"Is he in there?" She asked me but I did not respond. She got on her hands and knees. She tried to move me but I am far to strong for her. The police busted in the door and ran in after her. I unlocked the door and grabbed Hunter before she could and I took him in the kitchen were the food grew cold and not eatable from the burning. I watched as the police drug a drunk Arianna out of my house. I felt like I was looking into the eyes of a demon as she kicked and screamed for Hunter.

This piece started out from me just messing around to me writing a story that I fell in love with.