John Brown's Final Letters | Teen Ink

John Brown's Final Letters

John Brown’s Final Letters

On October 16, 17, 18, 1859, John Brown and his men took over the United States armory and arsenal at Harpers Ferry. He gave weapons to the slaves in order to help him fight so he can try and free them. On October 18, early in the morning, 12 marines broke into the armories fire engine house because they knew John was there with his team. They took John Brown and the remaining of his army that did not die. John Brown was taken to court and jail and was charged for treason, murder, and was also executed. These letters are his last words before getting killed on December 2, 1859.

To the Soldiers that Arrested Me,

You soldiers arrested me and charged me for conspiring with slaves to commit treason and murder. You may be able to kill me very easily but, that doesn't mean you guys will stop other people from trying to free the African American slaves. Prepare yourselves for an answer of that question that must be settled sooner than you are prepared for it. I know that sooner or later the African American slaves will be free and you won't be able to do anything about it. I created an army of slaves so I can raid the federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry and also try to help the slaves get freedom. Always remember what I said at the trial, “So if giving up my life for the furtherance of the ends of justice and with the blood of millions in this slave country whose rights are disregarded by the wicked and unjust enactments then I’ll do it”. “Not very men like me has ever stood up so persistently and effectively for the dignity of human nature”. ¨I am still a man with a tormented soul that is still marching on¨. When I said this I meant that even though I will be gone this is not the end and that I will try to keep this from not happening.
Sincerely,
John Brown

To My Dear Children,

Thank you for helping me fight at Harpers Ferry. I very much appreciate it. I want to say that I feel good that I helped cause the Civil War because that might help end slavery but, at the same time I'm sorry to my family for endangering their lives. Please remember that what I’m doing is nothing compared to what the slave owners do to the people. They bully the people, harm them and use them for their own selfish ways. I know that I killed a few people but if you think about it it's nothing really, at least not compared with what they do to the slaves. I know that what I was doing was the right thing to do. I would be capable of doing anything to free the slaves and let them have their rights.

I know that I did not free the slaves but, At least I made a difference and I hope you remember me by this.
Sincerely,
John Brown