Grass Rash | Teen Ink

Grass Rash

By FizzyMylk BRONZE, Salt Lake City, Utah
FizzyMylk BRONZE, Salt Lake City, Utah

There was a latent dampness to the air, as if it was going to rain. The fog parting for the lucid beams of sun. She lies there, muddy and stained. The marks of green on her knees, and the imprint of ground on her palms. 

For just a minute, there was nothing but her. Completely silent and still. The scent of orange citrus surrounded her. Like a cloud, engulfing her tiny body. The wet grass and pitter patter of rain start to bring her back. She lays her hand on the floor, opening her palm, the small fruit rolls off. 

The air, wetter than before, begins to cover her. The heat of her cheeks and the huffing of her chest settle. Tiny drops of cool water make her flinch. She doesn't open her eyes. How could she? There is nothing that would justify opening her eyes. Eating a fresh fruit right from the tree, running so hard her chest starts to hurt, nothing made her feel like laying in the grass as it rained, rain was the most tranquil. The most otherworldly experience she could feel on her tiny home planet. 

Instead, opening her mouth. Her wide, open-mouth smile letting the earthy flavor trickle in. Laughing to herself, at herself. She couldn’t feel the bruises, the scrapes. Anything. She couldn’t feel anything. Her short strawberry blonde bangs cling to her forehead. The marks of her mother trail her skin. 

Her laughter brought tears. This moment she was completely alone. Her mother couldn't stop her from getting muddy, getting dirty. Her loud, throaty cries drowned out by the heavy rain. The clashing of water hitting the ground, swaying the leaves and branches of trees while she wailed. Screaming at the sky. 

I wanted to create a piece that let you be in the moment with my character. I wanted to be very descriptive and have the reader feel like time was being slowed down. Make it feel like you could see and feel everything she could.