My Story | Teen Ink

My Story

By Alissa-Drake BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio
Alissa-Drake BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio

Its’ 102 degrees out, my heart is racing, adrenaline pumping then BOOM it hits me. I blew out my knee. Great, now my whole life's work just down the drain. Hi, I am Morgan Sparks if you didn’t know I am one of twenty-seven u.s women's soccer players
and I am here to explain my life after I blew out my knee. I was playing in the semi-finals of the FIFA world cup when a girl tries to scissor the ball but ends up hitting the back of my knee making me collapse to the ground then steps on me by “accident” she claims. So after the game, I go straight to the doctor to see if there's anything wrong. I wait for what feels like an eternity till the doctor calls me in to instantly say Morgan you need surgery as soon as possible. He said 

I beg and I plead. “I don’t need s-s-surgery I can play the last game of the season right,” I asked doctor jones and he responded with the dreaded answer of no. so my team gets the win final game of the season but he says no and that's the last I know that happens to me before waking up to see a huge cast on my leg but I didn’t care I was going to go train with the team but mom and doc said NO. ERR they just don’t get it, do they? I got so anxious to the point where I can't watch the rest of last season and new Season games anymore. So a month goes by and I start physical therapy to help the healing process go a little faster. 

As my first session of therapy comes to an end I hear on the radio “The u.s women win nationals without their beloved goalie Morgan Sparks. I instantly fall to the ground in sadness. All I can think about now is this permanent replacement because of this stupid injury. I just hope I am not permanently replaced because it's my dream to play for U.S women on the national soccer team and it’s slowly all being taken away from me. I have been living my dream with them for the past seven years so do my teammates think that I am just not good enough for them anymore. I ask my mom if I should call the team manager and a week goes by and I decide to call him and he says in a year when I am better I can come back I say ok and hang up the phone. Not realizing what I got myself into. He said that once I am fully recovered I can come back and train 3 days a week instead of 5 for a month to see how well my knee is making a change in my performance. Then in 2 months, I will be ready to play with the team again but I didn’t realize my knee wasn’t healing properly so it is now delayed to 5 months of full rest and physical therapy nothing else. IIt’sbeen boring just sitting and waiting and sitting and waiting for my knee to take in the healing process but it goes faster if your active but you know since I’ve been put on bed rest my knee cann’t physically take on any such of challenge in its way. Since  I was awarded the best goalie in America not once but TWICE so coach might not replace me because I am the only goalie he has had on his team the was awarded goalie of the year twice so I just really hope that soon I can prove myself to him so he doesn’t replace me because the dream I have been living for 10+ years. I am finally doing what hearts-based desiring my whole life’s. If he drops me I am a regular person again and you would think aren’t you already a regular person and the answer to that is no you’re not. You get treated with highly earned respect and the little kids that look up to you come up to you and ask for your autograph and to be on a women’s national league is a pretty big deal in history for women we used to be controlled by men and told to stay home and clean while men and young boys went to work and school. Now Women aren’t just considered e team even though I still do have a little bit less strength and muscle in my knee which means I can’t always do the same training as them but at least I am doing something to feel like part of the team. That's the end of the journey through what happens to my knee and how I cope with the thing going on in my life and to feel capable again would be awesome but you never know what that future holds so I can’t tell myself for sure if ill ever plays soccer again thats is just me hoping I can be on the field very soon. 

10 short months later all I hear on the radio and news is the u.s women take the win against brazil or whoever we are facing but all I know is that I am so glad that I get to be back doing what I love and being with the people I love which amazing. There is one thing that is better than being back with the team is that when the news is on is We all so that epic save made by Morgan Sparks which is the most fantastic feeling in the world that I get to be back with my best friends in the whole world doing the thing I love which leaves me in bewilderment every time I hear it. Which I am so happy about because now that I get to still train with the team even though I still do have a little bit less strength and muscle in my knee which means I can’t always do the same training as them but at least I am doing something to feel like part of the team. Everyone says no matter what happens or what training I do they will be my friends for my whole life but is what everyone says true because they say that to every injured player and after their therapy and 3-4 months back on the team the coach realizes he is never going to win with them so he replaces them multiply of my friends have had that happen one of them was pregnant and the other tore her ACL during her 3rd year on the team so I don’t know what’s to come but. I just really hope that soon I can prove myself to him so he doesn’t replace me because of the dream I have been living for 10+ years. I am finally doing what my heart has been desiring my whole life. If he drops me I am a regular person again and you would think aren’t you already a regular person and the answer to that is no you’re not. You get treated with highly earned respect and the little kids that look up to you come up to you and ask for your autograph and to be on a women’s national league is a pretty big deal in history for women we used to be controlled by men and told to stay home and clean while men and young boys went to work and school. Now Women aren’t just considering that we are empowered enough to stand up for ourselves and others as well we do want we want when we want it As an unknown once said “Empowered women, Empower women” this means that I’m supposed to be there to be a role model, a superstar, and a helping hand so it doesn’t matter what you or who you are you are these things so women don’t are down on yourself because you cann’t do these things the way you want to, you can be these things no matter the color of your skin or how appealing you are you the way you are so don’t change yourself because thats what you think is right. So you empower women how you do not how your neighbor or your best friend. I’m Morgan sparks and even though I got injured my story inspired many women and young girls so no matter what you face just remember to be you and have faith in what you can do and the most important thing is to be you because everyone else personality is already taken so you can change to the way you look to be cool but your personality will never change thats one of few things that won’t.