Nostalgia | Teen Ink

Nostalgia

November 2, 2023
By IsabellaMalone BRONZE, Cupertino, California
IsabellaMalone BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was late May. One of her closest friends has just told her she was moving to a different country. The three crestfallen girls sit atop the monkey bars, looking out at the sunset. They decided to take one last trip all together to their elementary school, a place they haven’t visited in years. The girl looks closer at the sunset. She examines the kaleidoscopic aspect of the changing colors, a melancholy feeling washing over her. I wish I was in elementary school again, she said, I miss it. The girls all nodded, agreeing.

Maybe one day we’ll miss middle school, her friend said. 

She laughs. I doubt it, she says. A comfortable silence came after. They discussed what her new life might be like. What she’s hoping for in her new city, new house, new friends. Time passes too quickly, the sky’s daylight melting away into a purple hue, then to a dark night sky. The three friends parted ways. Agreeing to text, call, and see each other whenever they could. But everything became so different. The insurmountable nostalgia that would always linger whenever they saw each other. She would still think about her old friend often. Their shared music taste, the shows they would talk about together, their inside jokes. All of these special moments made to be memories. Everything she lost that changed her in unspoken ways.


The author's comments:

This set piece is about a personal experience I had with one of my friends who moved away this year, and the bittersweet feeling after she moved. With this set piece, I tried mimicking the writing of Raymond Carver by using third person and his dialogue style. What I like most about this piece is that it was fun to try to include a few stronger description words.