Descendants of the Sea | Teen Ink

Descendants of the Sea

By richardhe SILVER, Beijing, Other
richardhe SILVER, Beijing, Other

The spirits of nature

The sea’s end is awash with pink. These are the descendants of the East Sea, a group of newly grown dolphins entrusted with the last remnants and struggles of their entire species. Only the bodies of the adult dolphins metamorphose into a brilliant pink. They frolic freely over the waves in the East Sea, like a group of children at play, unencumbered by clothing. They followed the boat in a friendly manner at a close distance, but for the thinnest of the dolphins, it was its last swim in the deep sea. When it awoke again, it found itself in captivity. Although its surroundings were transparent on all four sides, it couldn’t pass through and ended up injured all over.

That was my first visit to the aquarium. Through the glass covered with brown algae, I saw it. That touch of pink should have belonged to the sea, because it is a descendant of the sea. It circled in a corner, the farthest place from the crowd. Some people patted the glass and shrieked to get it to come over, but no one noticed its blood-red eyes, collapsed dorsal fin, and the smooth and delicate body surface that had lost its luster. I watched it silently for an entire day. When the keeper came to perform a feeding show, no matter how the keeper played with it, it didn't show the slightest interest. I felt incredibly lonely and seemed out of place amid the cheers of men, women, old and young around me, and I was gradually pushed to the periphery by the crowd.

I glimpsed a faded sign in the corner that read, "No animal shows. What we get is one-time pleasure, but what they lose is everything.” No matter how scientists mimic the wild environment, this white dolphin could not avoid losing its life. It is a descendant of the sea. Having lost its original waters, it can no longer sing for life; having lost the comfort of its loved ones, it can only resist in a bloodthirsty manner.

Later, somehow, it was trained for performances. It then began to attack people. The trainer’s thousands of whippings and the audience’s twisted cheers pierced its heart and blinded its eyes time and time again. The animal trainer made it lift its tail and awkwardly lie on the shore to take a photo with a baby. When it saw the baby being comforted and cared for by the parents, something died in its heart. The baby was suddenly bitten and dragged into the bottom of the tank, constantly torn by its rows of rough teeth, and hit with its fragile snout. I don't know whether it was the baby’s or its blood that stained the water red. This red color was more intense than its pink, diffused, and gradually covered that touch of pink in the water. Thanks to the title of a national first-class protected animal, it narrowly escaped the death penalty. Nevertheless, it had been locked in a cage where it could not even turn around since then, and had been spurned by the media as a "killer beast". The brutality of humans aroused the anger of the sea, giving it power and turning the descendant of the sea into a ferocious monster of slaughter.

They are children of the sea, and will return to the sea after death, giving back everything they have received. However, it even lost this right. Soon after, the aquarium made its body into a specimen and placed it at the most conspicuous entrance. This is to show off, to exhibit that they owned a descendant of the sea.

There is no trace of pink left at the end of the sea. For some reason, they barely interact with humans again. Whenever people approach by boat, they quickly disappear into the deep sea. They are descendants of the sea, never belonging to humans, as it should be.