Stop and Think | Teen Ink

Stop and Think

By Sierra Stratton BRONZE, San Diego, California
Sierra Stratton BRONZE, San Diego, California

Connell ignored the red flashing hand as she stepped out into the black concrete, watching the cars whiz by her. She took a deep breath and stepped into the street, trying to ignore the blaring honks of cars and yelling people. She thought back to why she was doing this. Connell had felt that nobody cared about her. Her parents never paying attention to her, her best friend Kaitlyn always ditching her for other people. She simply felt unloved. Over and over again she thought this about her life. She couldn’t handle it. She kept thinking that if she did kill herself, nobody would care. Nobody would even notice she was gone.

She closed her eyes and crept closer towards the middle of the street, not wanting to look back at the life she was about to leave behind. “Connell!” someone screamed. “Stop right now and turn around!”. As tempting as it was to her, she couldn’t turn around. She walked a couple of challenging, heavy steps forward. “Connell, if you do not turn around right now...”. She had to keep going, how else would this stop? One step... Two... She couldn’t take it any longer. She turned and ran to the voice. “Oh, Kaitlyn!”, Connell exclaimed embracing Kaitlyn in a hug, “I thought you didn’t care about me!”. Connell was crying now. “Of course I care about you! What would ever make you think I do not care about you?”. “Well you ditched me so many times before and...”, Kaitlyn interrupted Connell in mid sentence. “I’m so sorry. After being with other people, I realized how special our friendship is. No one could ever replace you.”

Connell thought about all the bad times, but the good times overwrote them. “And I think you should know that your parents love and care about you too. They are looking for you at home. They are worried.”. Right then, standing on the sidewalk in the cold New York air, Connell realized how important her life was. How could she ever want to leave her one and only life? “Come on, lets get you home.”. That night will be remembered for both Kaitlyn and Connell. Walking down the street, hand in hand, they will always be best friends forever.

Caryl said...
Wow, you're a great writer. Maybe you should try writing another one!

Cinterlandi said...
Wow, Sierra! Great to see you getting your work out there for the world to read.

Kels48 said...
Omg sierra LOVE it u rock so much luv's ya's and merry christmas.

Bailey4 said...
This is absolutely amazing!!!! Love you Sierra!