The Graduating Class | Teen Ink

The Graduating Class

By Chaos_Quynn GOLD, Cold Spring, Minnesota
Chaos_Quynn GOLD, Cold Spring, Minnesota

“To love another person is to see the face of God.” -Victor Hugo

Darcey Lee Ray pushed her blonde bangs out of her eyes as she walked along the sidewalk. A light May breeze laced through her long ponytail. She let her eyes drift to the grey sky, the weather gloomy and disappointing. She thought it was quite fitting for the nature of the day. May 26th, 2011. Her last day in West Brookhaven and her last day with her friends, the only people who ever truly “got” her. She shoved her hands into the pockets of her weathered, pink sweatshirt and continued down the path. In the distance, she could see another person walking towards her. They had messy, short brown hair and headphones on. Darcey smiled. It was Alexia. The two were always the early ones, up to the very end.

-

Alexia fidgeted with the string coming off of her shirt. It was her dads, the ACDC brand across the front. Of course, it was huge on her. She felt timid and alone. Her best friend wasn’t at school today, and the world seemed too big without her. Students kept flooding into the second grade classroom. Alexia kept her head down, but to her surprise, someone sat down beside her. She had long blonde hair and an inviting smile. She stuck her pale hand out, and Alexia tentatively took it. “I’m Darcey,” the blonde said, shaking Alexia’s hand. “You look lonely. The girl you always hang out with isn’t here, yeah? I can try to substitute!”

Alexia’s big brown eyes blinked, but she nodded. “I’m Alexia, but you can call me Al,” she said, her tone much softer than Darcey’s bright voice.

Throughout the day, Darcey stuck by Alexia’s side and kept her company. The doe-eyed girl started to warm up to her, eventually engaging in more conversation and cracking some second grade jokes. When the school day was over, Alexia thanked Darcey for the help. Darcey just smiled and said, “I hope your friend is here tomorrow, but if she isn’t, I’ll gladly be your best friend another day.”

-

“Hey, Al!” Darcey said as the two approached each other. “Sucky weather, yeah?”

Alexia nodded and put her hands over her exposed upper arms. “I totally should have grabbed a jacket,” she groaned with a wry smile, taking off one side of her headphones. “Have you seen any of the others? Aamiina said she might be a few minutes late; her sister has a dance recital.”

Darcey shook her head. “Not yet. But I’m not surprised. When have any of them ever shown up on time?” She said, shaking her head.

Alexia laughed a little. “Well, shall we?” she asked, gesturing for the dirt path that led down into a patch of woods. Darcey nodded and the two set off. 

After trudging through the slightly damp mud on the path, the two made it the their oasis. The group of friends had found this spot when Kane’s dog had taken off a few years ago. When they found the rascal, they realized the little pond surrounded by trees and brush was the perfect getaway. No one would intrude and no one could tell them what to do. So, they made it their own. Fairy lights and chairs of various styles and colors littered the shore just off of the pond. It was a teenage sanctuary that they had created just for them.

Darcey shooed a frog off of her designated seat and plopped down. Alexia sat to her left, tucking her stockinged legs beneath her. The crack of a twig made the two look up, to see a silver haired figure carefully stepping down the path. Darcey smiled to herself, happy that he had decided to come. The kid was wearing a long skirt past his knees and a pale blue sweater, his cheeks flushed from the slight chill. He sat down across from Darcey in his spot and smiled lightly.

-

Kane ran under the stairs and crouched down, praying they couldn’t see him anymore. He flinched at the approaching footsteps and shivered at the voices. A boy, maybe a year older, came running down the hall, skidding to a halt upon arrival. “Where’d he go?” He asked the shorter boy who followed him.

“Doesn’t he usually hide somewhere stupid?” The younger one asked, peering about the hall. The older smiled and an idea lit up his face. He crept towards the stairs where Kane still held his breath. The black haired boy crouched down behind him.

“Boo,”

Kane started forwards and landed on the cold tiles. The two bullies laughed. Kane pushed himself off of the floor and tried to make a break for it. The black haired boy shot up and grabbed him by the wrist, yanking him back. “So, the ****** wants to run, huh?”

Kane’s brown eyes started to water as the bully’s nails dug into his wrist. Just at that moment, a blonde girl with a sparkly, pink backpack rounded the corner. When she saw what was happening, her eyes widened in shock and fury. She dropped her backpack to the floor and ran to help the boy.

“Caleb! Noah! What do you think you’re doing?” She scolded, removing, who must be named Noah’s, hand from Kane’s arm. “I will report you if you don’t get out of here now. And you know how much the teachers like me.”

Caleb and Noah exchanged glances. The older looked back at the girl. “You’re next, then,” he muttered before turning on his heel and walking off down the hall. Caleb followed. 

“Are you okay?” The girl asked, turning to face Kane, who was vigorously wiping tears from his eyes. “They need to be put in their place. Why didn’t your friends help you?”

Kane looked at the blonde girl. “I haven’t got any,” he said softly, his accent coming through even in the simplest of sentences. The girl frowned.

“Well, I think I’ll have to change that, yeah?” She said, with an air of determination. “I’m Darcey. You are?”

“Kane,” he replied simply. Voices echoed down the hall as more people approached. A group rounded the corner and Darcey waved, going over to them. She introduced Kane, and from then on, he had friends.

-

“Hey,” Kane said after leaning back in his chair.

“Hi,” Alexia said with a smile, looking back up at the path, where more footsteps could be heard. 

“I’m happy you came, Kane,” Darcey said, her face giving away her understanding for his situation. He’d never fit in so perfectly with the group that he had to go everywhere with them, but they appreciated what he brought to the table. He was smart and knew the answers to the most random questions they asked. Though he was a little more reserved than the rest of them, he was still part of their little family.

The footsteps above  belonged to another blonde, but this one was a guy, and was stuck with thick prescription glasses. He trod down the hill, almost falling backwards at one point, the mud coming out from under his worn out shoe. He carried a faded, red backpack, which he slung onto the mossy ground before relaxing back into his designated chair. He let out what could only be an exhausted sigh before refocusing on the task at hand. He pulled a small box out of the side pocket of his backpack and took out a cigarette. He held the box out to the others, but was met with shaking heads. He shrugged and tossed the pack onto his backpack. “Your loss,” he said with a sarcastic smile. “How ya been?”

-

The door swiftly slammed in Casper’s face as his parents finally worked up the nerve to kick him out. Despite his best efforts to hold them back, hot tears streaked his face. After a few seconds, he picked up the brand new, bright red backpack he had just gotten and stormed off of the front porch and into the night. How could they just kick a fourteen year old into the street? That had to be against some kind of law. Oh well, he guessed he’d asked for it. As he continued into the darkening night, the only visible thing being the concrete beneath street lamps, he heard the sound of sharp laughter. He could vaguely see a group of people saying goodbye to each other after a night out. He stood, frozen, for a moment. One of the people, after throwing one last wave over her shoulder, started straight towards him. She stopped when she saw him. “Hey, are you okay?” She asked, approaching cautiously. He had seen her in school before, but she’d never been the type someone like him would hang out with. Not like he hung out with many people anyways. The tree he often read under had been chopped down recently, and he had yet to find another spot where he could have peace and quiet. Snapping back to reality, Casper opened his mouth.

“No. My parents just kicked me out,” he said, his voice hoarse. He didn’t know why he admitted that to this girl. He supposed he was just emotionally compromised. The girl’s face dropped and her eyes glimmered with pity.

“Oh, my god. I’m so sorry,” she said, her voice dropping to something of a sympathetic whisper. “Um…hey. You can stay at my place, if you want. I’ve seen you at school, yeah?”

Casper was taken aback by this sudden offer. “Yeah…sure,” he absentmindedly agreed, too drained to think anymore.

“Follow me. I’m just around the block. I’m Darcey, by the way. Darcey Ray,” she introduced herself, keeping her eyes on the distraught Casper.

“Casper,” he replied, his own eyes locked on the concrete sidewalk. Tentatively, Darcey took his hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

“Everything’s gonna be okay, yeah?” She said with a soft smile.

And from then on, it was.

-

Casper put the cigarette in his mouth and took a deep breath in, then released it. Darcey inhaled the second hand smoke, taking in the familiar scent of smoke and damp forest air. “Where are the others?” Casper asked after another pull.

“Aamiina should be here any minute,” Alexia said, leaning her head back to look at the budding trees. “And you know Charolette.”

Darcey chuckled and pulled her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms about her legs. She rested her chin on the cool denim of her jeans and closed her eyes, listening to the forest. Soon enough, long, even footsteps could be heard. From where she was, Darcey could see a maroon hijab peaking through the trees as Aamiina strode down the path, sketchbook clenched in her dark hand. Alexia perked up at the sound of the footsteps, a smile stretching across her face. Aamiina walked over to the circle of chairs and sat beside Alexia, who immediately began to ask about her most recent drawings. Aamiina opened her sketchbook to show her, and Darcey caught a glimpse of what looked to be a male cardinal beside a girl with red braids of hair. She’s always been impressed with the art her friend could produce. She knew she could with enough practice to drive a man mad, but she simply didn’t have the patience. She let her head fall to the side as she shut her eyes again, listening to the sound of Alexia and Aamiina chatting, and the scratch of her pencil on paper.

-

When Aamiina walked into school on Monday, she saw Alexia talking to someone new. The two were laughing and sharing a breakfast snack. While she was happy to see Alexia happy, she couldn’t help but feel a pang in her chest as she approached the two. When Alexia looked up to see her best friend, she leaped from her chair and wrapped her arms around her. “Aamiina! I’m so glad you’re back. It feels like forever,” she rambled, not letting go. Aamiina laughed and wrapped her slender arms around Alexia in return.

“It was just two days and a weekend, Al,” she reasoned, “But it looks like you made a new friend?”

Alexia released Aamiina from her grasp with a beaming smile. “Yeah! This is Darcey!” She said, gesturing to the blonde.

Darcey stood up and smiled at Aamiina. “Hi,” she said. “I promise I’m not here to replace you, but I’d love to join you.” 

Aamiina looked at Alexia, who smiled and nodded enthusiastically. Touched by the display of humor as well as assurance, smiled back. “Of course. Thanks for keeping Al company. We don’t really have friends outside of us two,” she agreed. Darcey’s smile widened, reaching her eyes, making them sparkle. 

“Thanks, Aamiina,” she said, simply. “Want some of my snack?”

-

Darcey opened her eyes slowly as the final person approached the safe haven. Her face lit up, both with happiness and a bittersweet feeling. Charolette came up to the circle of chairs and Darcey stood. She wrapped her arms around Charolette’s neck and held on tight, burying her face in the taller girl’s pink locs. Charolette wrapped her dark arms around Darcey in return. When the blonde decided to pull away, she looked up into Charolette’s deep eyes and pressed her own lips against her girlfriend’s. The others in the group looked on, used to their displays of affection, but feeling bittersweet, knowing this is the last time. “I’m really going to miss you, Char,” Darcey muttered after breaking the kiss.

“I know. I will too,” Charolette replied, before moving over to take her seat next to Darcey’s chair. Darcey flopped back into her own with a heavy sigh. Charolette rested her hand on Darcey’s.

-

First day of freshman year and I’m already exhausted, is what Charolette thought when she sat down in her last class of the day. She hated math, and wasn’t afraid to let everyone around her know it. As students piled into the classroom, she scanned faces and outfits, noting who had some semblance of style versus who didn’t. Who seemed viable to be a friend versus who wasn’t. Suddenly, a blonde girl in a bright pink sweatshirt and light, ripped jeans turned into the classroom. She smiled at the teacher before taking a seat beside Charolette. God, was this girl gorgeous. She looked like a fallen angel. Her blond hair cascaded over her shoulders effortlessly, her eyes sparkled in the afternoon sun, her hands fidgeted with the necklace around her neck. She was beautiful…and now she was looking in Charolette’s direction. Charolette quickly gazed back at her desk to avoid looking like she was staring. A light laugh sounded from beside her. “Hey, you. It’s okay. I’m Darcey,” the beauty said. Charolette looked back up at her. Her hand was outstretched for a handshake.

“Oh…I’m Charolette,” she said in reply and took Darcey’s hand. Her palm was warm, but not hot. She swore an electric shock went through her. For the first time in a long time, she was at a total loss for words.

“You should come eat lunch with tomorrow! We eat in the right corner of the cafeteria. I’ll wave you over,” Darcey offered with a bright smile. Charolette nodded, unable to say anything productive. Darcey just laughed as the bell rang and the class began.

-

The group of friends cheered as the last bell of junior year rang. They bolted from their classrooms and met in the courtyard, ready to get out of there. They grabbed the remaining books from their lockers and left the school grounds. “Roller rink?” Darcey suggested as they made their way down the sidewalk. A resounding agreement rippled through the joyous former juniors.

When they arrived at the local roller rink, they grabbed the beat up rental skates and headed onto the bright blue floor. A song played over the muffled, old speakers and bad smelling fog filled the room. But they loved it. They skated around and around. Casper did loops around Kane, who was just trying to keep his footing. Darcey and Charolette held hands and chatted over the muddy music. Aamiina and Alexia raced around the rink, dodging through the children and other groups. Lively laughter and shouting drifted over the atmosphere of the dingy building, true happiness from true friends. After a while, they all rolled off down the ramp and into the food court area. Casper went to find a spot while Alexia went to grab a pizza. That all sat down and started eating.

“Thank God for summer,” Casper said, swiping his hair from his forehead. Aamiina chuckled while struggling to loosen her skates.

“One more, then we’re outta here,” Alexia chimed in with a laugh. 

Darcey watched her friends laugh and converse as she munched on her cheese pizza. They didn’t take it seriously at the time, but graduation was around the corner. They would have to savor life while they had it.

-

The six seniors sat, the air heavier than normal. The only sounds were the birds and leaves rustling about overhead. Aamiina had halted her sketching, and her pencil lay quietly in her hand. Alexia was the one to break the silence. “This is it, then?” She said, looking down at her hands. 

“I guess,” Casper said after a deep pull from his cigarette. “Y’all are off to college. I hope that treats you well.”

Darcey, Kane, Aamiina and Alexia nodded, but Charolette shook her head. “I decided I’m going to live with my aunt. The one who runs a boutique,” she explained. “I’m hoping I can get my start there.”

“I’m sticking around,” Casper replied. “College is no place for me. I’m fine where I am.”

The circle fell silent once more. Someone’s faint music could be heard in the distance as the friends looked at one another. “We’ll see each other again, I’m sure,” Darcey broke the silence. “If anything, we can meet somewhere. I’ll get a plane ticket and fly back from London.”

Charolette flinched a little at the mention of the city, not willing to accept that Darcey would be overseas. But, was overseas really any different than Charolette living across America? Darcey rubbed a hand over her eyes and sat further back in her chair. “Maybe in a few years we’ll all end up back in these same spots,” she said, quietly.

“Or it’ll get overrun with some gang of middle schoolers,” Casper said with a dry smile. Alexia scowled in a joking manner before giggling. 

“I’ll miss you all,” Kane said, earning a surmised look from the other five. “I’m happy I met you.”

Darcey smiled genuinely for the first time in a few days. “We’re happy we met you, Kane. I know you have a great life ahead of you,” she said to him.

Charolette squeezed Darcey’s hand lightly and the blonde turned to her. “I love you, y’know?” She said softly.

“Yeah, I know,” Darcey replied. “I love you too.”

The world seemed to be spinning too fast. It felt like yesterday they were all eating lunch as freshman in the cafeteria and laughing at the so-called popular kids. It felt like an hour ago that they were watching a movie in Darcey’s living room or sneaking out at night to see each other and share a drink. They knew they were far from perfect, far from normal, but they’d had each other, and that was more than enough. It’s not everyday that one meets kindred spirits.

Before she knew it, Darcey was zipping up her suitcase. She would take off in four hours, and never see her hometown again. An almost sinking feeling took over her heart.

-

I open my eyes and am met with the slats of my roommates bed above me. I sigh deeply and roll over. I push my short, blonde hair from my forehead and gaze off into my dorm. I take in the deep blue of the night, the slightly ajar closet, and the nearly grey, faded pink sweatshirt draped over the back of the desk chair. I bite my lip a little, tasting the tang of blood as I glance at my alarm clock. 3:47, it read. May 26th, 2012.

I wrote this for my creative writing fiction portfolio. I got an A!