Money Corruption | Teen Ink

Money Corruption

June 6, 2024
By Anonymous

In the town of Riverfront, where people hustled for their daily lives, there lived a young boy named Alex. He was known for his curiosity and skill in finding hidden truths. Alex lived with his mother in a modest house on Beach Street. Though they didn’t have much, they were happy and made the best of what they had.

Riverfront was a nice town with beautiful shops and friendly neighbors, but it had a secret. Lately,  strange things had been happening. Street repairs promised by the mayor were never completed, park benches vanished overnight, and the school’s library had been waiting for new books for months. Everyone was confused, but no one knew the real reason behind these mysteries.

One sunny afternoon, as Alex rode his bike home from school, he noticed a group of men in expensive suits meeting behind the old abandoned warehouse. Knowing Alex's curiosity, he quietly parked his bike and crept closer.

“Remember, keep it quiet,” one of the men said. “The mayor doesn’t want anyone to find out where the money is going.” Alex’s heart pounded. The mayor? He couldn’t believe his ears. He knew he had to tell someone, but who would believe a kid like him?

The next day at school, Alex visited his best friend, Maria, and told her everything. “We have to do something,” urged Maria “Let’s gather some evidence and then tell my dad. He’s a reporter.” Together, they hatched a plan. Over the next few weeks, they followed the men and took photos with Maria’s camera, They saw money exchanging hands and noted where the mysterious men went. They even overheard conversations about the mayor’s secret bank accounts.

One evening, they snuck into the mayor’s office through an open window and found a hidden safe. Inside were stacks of cash and a book showing every bribe and dirty deal. They took photos of everything and hurried back to Maria’s house. Maria’s dad was shocked but proud of their bravery. He agreed to help, promising to keep them safe. That weekend, he published a front-page story exposing the corruption. The article included photos and detailed accounts of the mayor’s illegal activities.

The image of Riverfront being a beautiful town was burning into flames. The mayor was arrested, and an investigation was launched. The corrupt officials were brought to justice and the stolen money was returned to the town. New park benches were installed, the school library received long-awaited books, and the streets were finally repaired. The townspeople treated Alex and Maria like