The Tiger Lily | Teen Ink

The Tiger Lily

By chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan

"Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."
-Tuck Everlasting

The warm sun seemed to smile on her as it softly kissed her skin, and the gentle wind whispered in her ear as it flew past. The trees quietly rustled in the distance, having a conversation only they could understand. The creek nearby sparkled in the sun, and the wheat field next to it looked almost like an ocean as the stalks were blown back and forth like waves.

Beth stared up at the sky. It was beautiful today, the clearest blue she had ever seen. Only a few shapeless wisps of clouds obscured the view, and they looked as if one breath of air could easily blow them away. The enchanting sound of bird song softly filled her ears as they soared high above her in the sky, pirouetting gracefully in a choreography only those with wings could ever master. The sweet smell of freshly cut hay and newly bloomed flowers hung in the air.

Sighing, she continued on her way up the old dirt road. A small pebble, the perfect size for kicking, collided with her sandal. She proceeded to kick it, dragging her feet slowly across the ground, dreading returning home.

Out of the corner of her eye, she caught the bright orange hue of tiger lilies. Stopping suddenly, she reached over and picked a solitary flower. Every shade of orange seemed to be reflected in just that one flower, scattered through each of the six petals. Each petal balanced symmetrically around the stem, reaching toward the heavens on their own. A certain radiance, a perfect beauty, glistened in her hand. It was almost painful to take something so magnificent away from its home. However, its magic was needed elsewhere.

She walked a little more briskly now, turning into her driveway and breaking into a run. She rushed through the door, hurriedly kicking off her sandals, and ran into the kitchen. Her mom smiled tiredly at her from a sink full of dishes, and Beth quickly pecked her on the cheek, continuing her dash into the bedroom.

Her grandma lay on the bed, sleeping soundly. Her long, silky white hair wrapped around her gently as her chest moved slowly up and down. Her white night gown lay loosely on her gaunt frame. She smiled as she dreamt, perhaps envisioning a world far more kind than the one that held her captive now. Every wrinkle on her face and hands told a story of a benevolent heart and a life well lived.

Beth delicately wrapped her grandma’s hands around the tiger lily, adding a splash of color to the deathly pale sight. A single tear slid down her cheek.

She had never seen anything more breathtakingly beautiful.

I wrote this the year after my grandma died. On the country road around my home, there are many bright flowers but something about day lilies really stands out to me. I wish I could have brought her one before she passed away.

mistaken_laughter PLATINUM, Alvin, Texas

"There are three rules to writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." W. Somerset Maugham

I have read two of your pieces and both are filled with lovely imagery. I think this piece was very sweet, flowers can mean a lot.

(check out my work)

PalindromeGirl BRONZE, Beverly, Massachusetts
I loved the imagery of this piece. It's so believable and you can feel everything that's happening. I also loved how the 'tempo' of the writing changed after she found the flower. good job!

xBaByGiRrL22x PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York

"The goal isn't to live forever, but create something that will."
"If you wanna go, baby let's go; if you wanna rock, I'm ready to roll.''
"No one ever said it'd be easy. They just said it'd be worth it." <3

omg woww.

u have incredible talent!

i luvvd reading ur pieces. the descriptions

are amazing, the imagery superb.

awesome job!!

bcookie PLATINUM, Ashville, Ohio

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I loved this story! It is very descriptive and emotional. Great job!

carolinestarr PLATINUM, Ellicott City, Maryland

"It's not about who we are, but who we choose to be."

oh! this is so sweet. it really is truly wonderful and classic.

chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan

-Tuck Everlasting

Thank you so much! I read some of your poetry and I loved it--it's very unique and cute. =]

unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

I loved it! Very emotional but meaningful. Keep writing, you do an amazing job! Chack out my work please!