Gummy Worms and Pokemon Cards. | Teen Ink

Gummy Worms and Pokemon Cards.

By Alyssa Dulay BRONZE, Swansboro, North Carolina
Alyssa Dulay BRONZE, Swansboro, North Carolina

Astonishment. Fear. Betrayal. Confusion. Guilt. Denial.

I read over the words on the screen.

"...separate ways...just friends...we had a great run...not you, it's me..."

I flip my phone shut without thinking. I dare not read the end. I look at my lamp. My cork board. My feet. Anything but the end.

GAH, what was I thinking?! I must have looked so stupid next to him. So out of my league. I didn't even get something human. I got the friggin' "it's not you, it's me."

Tears well up in my eyes. Let 'em run. Let them stream down my face and drop onto my phone. Stupid camera-less, keyboard-less, 7-contact, Forrest Gump phone. Let them drop and erase its memory. Erase the text that ruined my social life, my day, my week, my mascara.

Just when I reach the climax of my self-pity wallow party, my little Forrest Gump vibrates, as if to say, "Um, hello? I'm right here."

Stupid selfish self-absorbed phone.

I stare for a minute at the pixels magnified by my gray waterfall. Dazed by sadness, laziness, and just lack of caring. I feel numbed, and it's not because it's the first December snow. I feel as if my muscles have turned to cotton. And I sit on the shelf, like a ragdoll long forgotten. That's all I am apparently, just a childish plaything he got tired of.

Forrest Gump shakes in my hand again, stirring me awake from my reverie. I sniff irritatedly at my congestion. "ABBY" it reads. I flip it open and push the ginormous buttons meant for senior citizens who can barely open their eyes.

"Hey! Meet me @ the frnt of da skool. Football games is @ 6. I got da gummi worms ;P

~Abby<3"

Abby Greensdale. First grade. Sharing gummy worms on the bus. Pokemon cards. Stuffed dinosaurs. Dress-up. Chasing prissy Kylie Thompson with a bug. She beat up Robbie Nicholson for me. He pulled my pigtails. She punched his gut.

I giggle to myself as all thoughts of my quarter-life-crisis melt away. A sit and reminisce about the days of past. The days were guys were contagious to the touch and all things pinky-sworn were set in stone. I throw Forrest Gump deep into my sheets and reach for my keys. I smile as I brace my self for a desperately-needed dose of vitamin Abby.

liveamongthestarsdieamongthepeople GOLD, Kalamazoo, Michigan

Why I am here, I know not; where I shall go, it is useless to enquire. In the midst of myriads of the living and the dead worlds, stars, and infinity why should I be anxious of an atom?
-Lord Byron

I really like this, it has good description and a little sarcastic humor. Its a perfect memory. And i can definitely relate my bf same exact words and then hooked up with my best friend. Keep writing!:)

silver_ice BRONZE, Wheelock, Texas

Imagination is the eye of the soul.
-Joseph Joubert
and
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-Mark Twain ;P

o my gosh i love this!!

RayBaytheDinosaur GOLD, Hampton, South Carolina

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Wow =) i really like this, its so realistic in the way the character thought and acted, keep writing, you're really great!

snc947 GOLD said...
snc947 GOLD, Swansboro, North Carolina
lol. luv it! abby? what about me?! whos this abby neway?! *sniff; tear* i feel replaced! *sarcasm* haha.