Nicky | Teen Ink

Nicky

By RadioShower PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
RadioShower PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Emo is imaginary - Gerard Way
Normalness leads to sadness -Phil Lester (AmazingPhil)

The subway lines were crowded with travelers, everyone was moving. A girl of sixteen sits down on a bench to wait for the bus. She has a backpack on and a rolling suite case in her hand. Her face is stained with tears and her long brown hair lays strait underneath a black beanie on her head. A woman pulling a little girl of five sits down next to her.

“Stay here, sweetie I’m going to go get our tickets.” She says and walks away. The little girl sits patiently in her lime green dress playing with her blonde pony tails as she looked at the teenager.

“Hi, I’m Katy, I’m five; what’s your name?” She says smiling holding up her tiny hand to show her age.

“Um, Nicky.” The girl responds slowly looking away.

“Me and Mama are going to the zoo today! I’m ganna see the elephants and monkeys and birds and giraffes and the lions!” she swings her legs back and forth as she talks.

“Oh,” Nicky answers shortly to the young ones constant chatter.

“Where are you going?” Katy asks looking brightly at her with blue eyes.

“Um….,” Nicky bursts in to tears. “I’m going far away and I’m never coming back!” she sobs. “I can’t…. I can’t stay here any longer.”

The little girl reaches into her pink purse and pulls out a tissue. “Here, it’s okay,” Katy scoots closer and putts her small hand on Nicky’s. “Why are you going far away? What happened?”

“It’s not something you would understand, my mom and I got in a fight… I don’t want to talk about it.” Katy leans over and gives her a hug.

“me and mama get it to fights all the time like the time I didn’t want to clean my room, but the she gave me a hug and I felt better. But yours isn’t here so I’ll give you one for her.” Nicky manages a weak smile in return.

“Thank you,” she whispers as she whipes her eyes. The woman comes back.

“Come on Katy, time to go!” Katy hops down from the bench and waves to Nicky as her mom leads her away.

“Bye, good luck!”She calls. Nicky waves back. After a moment she gets up takes a deep breath and walks out of the station.
?